GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Max number of mesh nodes

Andrea

Hi all,

is it possible to have an estimate of the maximum number of nodes/elements that the SMS mesh generator

can handle (in particular for the case of triangular meshes)?

What could be the improvement from the 32bit to the 64bit SMS version? I am working on a machine

with 3.25GB of RAM.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi,

While it seems like a simple question, the answer is a bit involved. I'll take a stab at explaining it.

The maximum number of nodes/elements that can be used in SMS is dependent upon the amount of memory being used. A 32-bit windows process can only access 2 GB of memory. If there is nothing else loaded into SMS, I think the maximum number of nodes is somewhere around 2 million depending up the element types used.

A 64-bit process can access up to 4 Terabytes of memory, although nobody has that much...yet. If you run out of RAM, windows will use hard drive as memory (often referred to as swap-space). If you hit swap-space, the performance of the memory becomes much worse (reading from disk is far slower than from memory). As long as your page-file (generally managed by windows), is large you won't run into problems with SMS crashing due to running out of memory. However, if you try to work with a 100 Million node mesh, you will find it very sluggish to an impractical level.

One issue with the 64-bit version of SMS is that the amount of memory used increases because of how data is stored in a computer program. I encourage people to try to get as much RAM as possible. I have 12 GB on my machine and there are others who do modeling here that have in the 20's. I know this isn't reasonable for everyone but additional RAM is a fairly cheap way to improve productivity when dealing with large meshes.

I hope the above helped. I generally use the 64-bit version of SMS so I don't run into space limitations.

Hi all,

is it possible to have an estimate of the maximum number of nodes/elements that the SMS mesh generator

can handle (in particular for the case of triangular meshes)?

What could be the improvement from the 32bit to the 64bit SMS version? I am working on a machine

with 3.25GB of RAM.

Thanks

Andrea