GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Can someone cut the grid in TPROGS?

hydrogeo

You can use TPROGS on a nonuniform grid. In GMS when you run TPROGS you will have the option to specify the row, columns, layers onto a background grid. TPROGS will then run and the results will be applied to the nonuniform grid using the cell centers of the nonuniform grid.

You can use TPROGS on a nonuniform grid. In GMS when you run TPROGS you will have the option to specify the row, columns, layers onto a background grid. TPROGS will then run and the results will be applied to the nonuniform grid using the cell centers of the nonuniform grid.

Thank you for responding Alan, but can you be more specific please. how i can do this???

Once i tried this but i dont know if it is rigth..create a new modflow conceptual model and a new coverage. Then create a polygon that coincides with the boundary of the water basin and after that select the option Activate Cells in Coverage...and i insert the contours, interpolating?i dont remember exactly and then my grid had the heigths of my real area.

Thank you, M.

Create your MODFLOW grid as you normally would for a model. Assign top and bottom elevations, refine around wells, etc. I assume that your borehole data will be consistent with your MODFLOW grid elevations.

Now set up your TPROGS input like you normally would. Select the Run TSIM command from the TPROGS menu. On the second page of the Run TSIM wizard, on the right side near the bottom there is a section for a background grid. This section is only used if the current 3D grid is not uniform in XYZ. The background grid will be uniform and it will fully enclose your current 3D Grid. You may want the background grid to be more dense than your current 3D grid. When TPROGS finishes running the material set from the background grid will be applied to the current 3D Grid.

• 2 weeks later...

Create your MODFLOW grid as you normally would for a model. Assign top and bottom elevations, refine around wells, etc. I assume that your borehole data will be consistent with your MODFLOW grid elevations.

Now set up your TPROGS input like you normally would. Select the Run TSIM command from the TPROGS menu. On the second page of the Run TSIM wizard, on the right side near the bottom there is a section for a background grid. This section is only used if the current 3D grid is not uniform in XYZ. The background grid will be uniform and it will fully enclose your current 3D Grid. You may want the background grid to be more dense than your current 3D grid. When TPROGS finishes running the material set from the background grid will be applied to the current 3D Grid.

I assume that your borehole data will be consistent with your MODFLOW grid elevations. What do you mean with that?

Also i dont have bottom elevations..as top elevations i have the contours of the area. How i can ''close'' my aquifer or my area in the bottom of the grid?

Thank you, M.

• 3 weeks later...

You will need to come up with the bottom elevations either by looking at what borehole data you have or be estimating a thickness and subtracting it from your top elevation.

What I mean by your grid elevations being consistent with your borehole...

1. I am assuming you have some borehole data (you can actually run TPROGS without it). If you don't then ignore the rest

2. That the boreholes are within the bounds of your 3D grid.

You can see a simple example of using TPROGS with MODFLOW to generate HUF data in the TPROGS tutorial at the GMS learning center: http://www.aquaveo.com/gms-learning