GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Error when gridding or viewing gridded file

Casey C

I am having trouble creating/viewing CMS flow grids on my 32 bit system. Whenever I attempt to create a grid or view a grid developed on a 64 bit system on my 32 bit system I get the following error message and crash.

“Problem display grid. Unable to allocate”

My 32 bit machine is a dual core 2.66 ghz processor with 3.5 gb of ram on Windows XP. The graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI. I only get this error when I build/view CMS Flow grids.

Any ideas?

Edited by Casey C

The issue is that the data you have is too large to fit into memory on a 32-bit system. There is a per-process limit to how much ram can be used by a piece of software (in the neighborhood of 4 GB). This will generate a fairly large grid.

Unfortunately, the only near term solution is to build smaller grids or always work on a 64-bit system. Thankfully, 64-bit OS are becoming more and more common. Generally 64-bit is the default option when purchasing windows 7 and you have to specifically request a 32-bit version of the OS.

I am having trouble creating/viewing CMS flow grids on my 32 bit system. Whenever I attempt to create a grid or view a grid developed on a 64 bit system on my 32 bit system I get the following error message and crash.

“Problem display grid. Unable to allocate”

My 32 bit machine is a dual core 2.66 ghz processor with 3.5 gb of ram on Windows XP. The graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI. I only get this error when I build/view CMS Flow grids.

Any ideas?