GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Shapefile to 2D scatter points

hydrogeo

If you have a shapefile with point features loaded in GMS and select "GIS | Convert To 2D Scatter Points", GMS should convert the points to scatter points. A coverage is not required to do this conversion. If you are experiencing problems with this, you may need to update to the latest version and build of GMS (GMS 8.0.7), which can be downloaded from here. I have tested the "Convert To 2D Scatter Points" feature in GMS 8.0.7 and it seems to be working properly.

If you have a shapefile with point features loaded in GMS and select "GIS | Convert To 2D Scatter Points", GMS should convert the points to scatter points. A coverage is not required to do this conversion. If you are experiencing problems with this, you may need to update to the latest version and build of GMS (GMS 8.0.7), which can be downloaded from here. I have tested the "Convert To 2D Scatter Points" feature in GMS 8.0.7 and it seems to be working properly.

yes but the contours are not points but polylines...and its needed a coverage for this..i dont want the coverage to be converted in scatter points but its avoidable, isnt another way?

thank you

Edited by hydrogeo

You can convert the shape file to a coverage and then convert the coverage to 2D scatter points. When you convert the shape to features make sure to associate the contour value with the "Elevation" field. This will make the new created arc have the assigned elevation. When you convert the coverage to scatter the elevation of the arcs will be the data set value for the 2D scatter points.

Let me know if this is not clear.

You can convert the shape file to a coverage and then convert the coverage to 2D scatter points. When you convert the shape to features make sure to associate the contour value with the "Elevation" field. This will make the new created arc have the assigned elevation. When you convert the coverage to scatter the elevation of the arcs will be the data set value for the 2D scatter points.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Yes i know this procedure, but maybe i wasnt so clear.

My coverage is the boundary of a water basin..I have done it for other reasons.

When i convert the contours shapefile (polylines) i go to GIS->Shapes->Feature Objects and then the result is my contours to be in the Map Data file as the boundary of the water basin (boundary+contours)

I want to be seperate things. Why my coverage (boundary) included in the points of the contours when l do it to 2D Scatter points? Can't be seperate?

Thank you

If I understand correctly you have both the boundary and the contours that are converted to feature objects (arcs).

I can think of a few of options:

1. edit the converted coverage (delete the arcs representing the boundary)

2. select just the contour polylines before converting the shapes to feature objects

3. Edit the shapefile in Arc or some other GIS program and remove the boundary polylines

If I understand correctly you have both the boundary and the contours that are converted to feature objects (arcs).

I can think of a few of options:

1. edit the converted coverage (delete the arcs representing the boundary)

2. select just the contour polylines before converting the shapes to feature objects

3. Edit the shapefile in Arc or some other GIS program and remove the boundary polylines

l have convert the polylines through arcgis to points so i am good.

But something else that makes me think is that one contour had wrong value (instead of 280 was 28...). So I correct it in the attribute table in GIS but when i insert my shapefile to GMS it stills wrong. Why is this happening????

Thank you :)