GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

FEMWATER Question

Hydrology

Is there a way to have different material types in the same layer in FEMWATER? I am new to this model, I typically use MODFLOW, so maybe I am missing something simple. I see how you can apply diffrent materials to different layers, but I dont see how to get different material types in different polygons to be applied to the a single layer like you can in MODFLOW.

Is there a way to have different material types in the same layer in FEMWATER? I am new to this model, I typically use MODFLOW, so maybe I am missing something simple. I see how you can apply diffrent materials to different layers, but I dont see how to get different material types in different polygons to be applied to the a single layer like you can in MODFLOW.

Hi

I haven't tried this, but I know you can manually assign materials to elements, by selecting the elements and then click the Properties button (also available on the Edit menu) and choose the material to assign.

A programmatic approach would be to create two layers, but then have the layer thickness to be 0 over part of the model (pinchout). I am not sure how Femwater would feel about zero thickness element though. You might need to use "Find Duplicate Nodes" to clean up the mesh.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I haven't tried this, but I know you can manually assign materials to elements, by selecting the elements and then click the Properties button (also available on the Edit menu) and choose the material to assign.

A programmatic approach would be to create two layers, but then have the layer thickness to be 0 over part of the model (pinchout). I am not sure how Femwater would feel about zero thickness element though. You might need to use "Find Duplicate Nodes" to clean up the mesh.

Simon

I will try the manual assignment process. I have a lot of elements so I hope that I can highlight a lot of elements at the same time as assign parameters to them. I am amazed that they havent automated this with their polygon feature process.

I will try the manual assignment process. I have a lot of elements so I hope that I can highlight a lot of elements at the same time as assign parameters to them. I am amazed that they havent automated this with their polygon feature process.

Yes you can select multiple elements at once, then click the "Properties" button and change their material.

A useful feature is "Isolate". If you click the "Material Zones" button you will see coloured circles appear that represent each layer. Then you select the circle for the layer you're interested in right-click Isolate. Then you can work with that layer, e.g. selecting elements and assigning materials.

I'm surprised one of their staff hasn't answered your question actually, and suggested other approaches that might be better.