GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

regenerating mesh from previous mesh nodes

karunakar

hi there.,

i have nodes positional(xyz) data from a previous model(currently project file corrupted).,

is there any chance i can regenerate the mesh.

the point here is, if i try importing the file as mesh, the triangles are generated even on polygons with land attributes(eg main land and islands).

any suggetions please.

Hi karu

You can try to just load the point and triangle informnation into SMS. Open the 2dm file in text editor and delete everything from "BEGPARAMDEF" to the end of file and save as new *.2dm. All important information (Node, Tringles, Nodestrings and Material type) should still be stored in the file. Now try to reread the file into SMS.

ciusi

D

hi there.,

i have nodes positional(xyz) data from a previous model(currently project file corrupted).,

is there any chance i can regenerate the mesh.

the point here is, if i try importing the file as mesh, the triangles are generated even on polygons with land attributes(eg main land and islands).

any suggetions please.

thanks aquadraht.,

i dont have the any of the files working because of a problem with my os - encryption.

sometime back i've converted the mesh file to scatter point set and saved it as a pts file(saved in my mail).

the earlier mesh provided me good validation, so i want to continue with the same.

but now i'm stuck up with this problem.

is there any way that i can eliminate triangulation in the polygons that were attributed land??

Hi karu

You can try to just load the point and triangle informnation into SMS. Open the 2dm file in text editor and delete everything from "BEGPARAMDEF" to the end of file and save as new *.2dm. All important information (Node, Tringles, Nodestrings and Material type) should still be stored in the file. Now try to reread the file into SMS.

ciusi

D

I'm not quite sure what's your goal ...to get a mesh file containing right triangulation, z, and materials?

If you just have got xyz data left, you need to retriangulate the data, i guess (load pts as scatter with triangulate checked. then convert scatter2mesh)

If you've got an older mesh with the right triangulation but wrong z values you can load the older mesh and interpolate the z values using scatter->interpolate to mesh.

In both cases you've lost material data anyway... if the polygons with land use are still available, load them into SMS (if shp file -> convert to map and build polygons) select polygons with the same material and choose "feature objects"->"select/delete data" to assign the land use data again.

thanks aquadraht.,

i dont have the any of the files working because of a problem with my os - encryption.

sometime back i've converted the mesh file to scatter point set and saved it as a pts file(saved in my mail).

the earlier mesh provided me good validation, so i want to continue with the same.

but now i'm stuck up with this problem.

is there any way that i can eliminate triangulation in the polygons that were attributed land??

You mention that you have positional data. Does this include all the nodes from the fort.14 or is it only partial. Do you have the nodestrings or the domain extents in a map file?

If you have all the points, simply triangulate the points and then delete the triangles that are outside of the domain. If you have a domain definition as a map file (or shape file), you can select all the triangles outside of the domain and delete them in a single step.

thanks Zundel,

the select option was not working earlier and i updated sms to 10.1.11 and found the things back to normal again.

for info,i was unable to open the fort.14 file was also(CRC error).

with xyz values of the previous mesh, i now got the model back.

thank you all.

You mention that you have positional data. Does this include all the nodes from the fort.14 or is it only partial. Do you have the nodestrings or the domain extents in a map file?

If you have all the points, simply triangulate the points and then delete the triangles that are outside of the domain. If you have a domain definition as a map file (or shape file), you can select all the triangles outside of the domain and delete them in a single step.