GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

read/write SMS binary datasets

aquadraht

Hello

We're using a model which produces the SMS dataset files in binary format. In order to optimize our post processing using SMS I need to read and convert the datasets for automate some calculations. I found the binary file description on your website, i've got poor experiences working with binary file. Is there a skript or library in a common language available to read and/or write these datasets efficently. This would be great!

cheers

D

Edited by aquadraht

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

We're using a model which produces the SMS dataset files in binary format. In order to optimize our post processing using SMS I need to read and convert the datasets for automate some calculations. I found the binary file description on your website, i've got poor experiences working with binary file. Is there a skript or library in a common language available to read and/or write these datasets efficently. This would be great!

cheers

D

Is nobody working/processing with these datasets? hm... then I've got to write a class by myself. :(

@administrators:

Are there some functionalities in SMS for automation (COM models or sth.) like in the most of Win programs (ESRI, Excel, Surfer etc.)?

Cheers

D

Is nobody working/processing with these datasets? hm... then I've got to write a class by myself. :(

@administrators:

Are there some functionalities in SMS for automation (COM models or sth.) like in the most of Win programs (ESRI, Excel, Surfer etc.)?

Cheers

D

The datasets are in a hdf5 format and there are many viewers/readers that can do what you look are looking for. Just google hdf5 and many different options will show up for you on how to convert it.

Cheers,

Cameron

Hi Cameron.

The binary dataset files (.dat) are not in hdf format. The format of these files is described here "http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:Binary_Data_Set_Files_%28*.dat%29"

ciusi

D

The datasets are in a hdf5 format and there are many viewers/readers that can do what you look are looking for. Just google hdf5 and many different options will show up for you on how to convert it.

Cheers,

Cameron

Hi Cameron.

The binary dataset files (.dat) are not in hdf format. The format of these files is described here "http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:Binary_Data_Set_Files_%28*.dat%29"

ciusi

D

you can do a "save as" and save it as a *.h5 data (if data set is on a mesh) or convert the data set to scatter points and have many more options with the "save as" command.

Hi Cameron.

ciusi

D

you can do a "save as" and save it as a *.h5 data (if data set is on a mesh) or convert the data set to scatter points and have many more options with the "save as" command.

yeah i know... the thing is that I want to optimize the post processing doing some calculations & analysis before going into SMS. ...to avoid to much clicking and minimize error sources. But finally I wrote a simple read-method for that.

cheers

D