GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Working with Raster data

SoundJack

I am having a problem figuring out how to work with raster data. I have imported raster elevation data through the GIS module. From there I'd like to use the elevation data to define up-gradient and down-gradient boundary conditions, and starting head. It seems I am able to convert .shp files to 2D-scatter points but not raster files. Is there a tutorial for working with raster data?

Unfortunately, there currently is not a tutorial on working with raster data in GMS. Depending on the raster data format, you can sometimes just load the data in as scatter points by loading the data and selecting the "Import as scatter points" option and then work with the data in the scatter module. You might try exporting the data in a different format from where ever you obtained it, if possible.

• 1 year later...

I am also working with raster data. I have top and bottom rasters from ArcGIS with the same spacing and orientation as my MODFLOW model grid. Can you be more specific: how to 'load the data as scatter points' and 'import as scatter points'? Or better yet, is it possible to import the raster directly into my model grid, since they coincide? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

One way to get the data from Arc Map and into GMS is sample the rasters at points in arc and then save a point shape file. You can then read in the point shape file in GMS and there is an option to convert from the point shape file to 2D scatter points. Once you have the 2D scatter points you can interpolate to the MODFLOW arrays. This tutorial talks about interpolating to the MODFLOW arrays:

http://gmstutorials-8.2.aquaveo.com/MODFLOW-InterpolatingLayerData.pdf