GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Modelling tides with ADCIRC

Jose Maria

Hi, Colleagues:

This is a stupid question, probably. I am modelling tides, using Le Provost database.

If I want to model starting at a specific date (let's say, February, 2/2011), how should I proceed? In CMS it's clear and simple, but I have a small confussion with the reference and satarting time at the timing tab in Adcirc control.

Thanks,

Jose M.

Hi Jose,

It isn't a stupid question, but not terribly specific. I'll do my best to explain how to do this and if I don't answer it please reask the question with more specifics.

To setup a boundary condition from the Le Provost database:

1. Assign your open ocean boundaries the type "Ocean" in the nodestring attributes dialog.

2. In the ADCIRC model control dialog, check the toggle for "Use forcing constituents."

3. Click New to get to the dialog to choose new constituents.

4. Specify the database, the starting date and time, and the constituents you want to use (you can right click to choose major, etc). Click OK to get back to the Tidal/harmonics tab.

You mention confusion with the reftime in the timing tab. This corresponds to the REFTIM parameter in the ADCIRC fort.15 file (see http://adcirc.org/documentv49/fort_15.html). You can use the Reftime so you can change the start time of a simulation without changing the date/time you used to extract tidal constituents. So if you decided you needed longer for the tides to come to equilibrium and wanted to extend the runtime by a day, you could change the Reftime to -1 day. If you also change the start time to a -1.0 day, the resulting output times would still be relative to February 2/2011 or whatever you choose. Although, I'm not certain how SMS will deal with a negative start day as I have never tried it!

The short answer is if you extract the constituents at the time you want your model to start, you can leave the reference time and start day at 0.0. If you want to change the time you want your model to start, you can reextract the constituents and keep the reference time and start day at 0.0 and all output times will be relative to this new date/time. If you want to start your model a little bit sooner or later and still keep the output times referencing the original date/time you can change Reftime and startday accordingly.

I hope this helps rather than add more confusion.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi, Colleagues:

This is a stupid question, probably. I am modelling tides, using Le Provost database.

If I want to model starting at a specific date (let's say, February, 2/2011), how should I proceed? In CMS it's clear and simple, but I have a small confussion with the reference and satarting time at the timing tab in Adcirc control.

Thanks,

Jose M.