GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

meshing ADCIRC

srijame

Hi,

I'm now learning ADCIRC and get succeed running the example given. But when i try to do in my domain area, I'm in trouble creating the mesh. I used long lat decimal degree in the bathymetry data, and I chose any point (for distance calculation) since my domain have no small bay or inlet. When i did the calculation in data calculator, i dont have any idea whether the calculation correct or not. Until I build polygon, and creating 2D mesh, it said it cannot import scatter data, or in SMS 8.1 it said "invalid boundary condition" (first trial in SMS 10.0).

I got the bathymetry data from global data, is there anything wrong with the data or had my input calculation in Data Calculator incorrect?

Thanks.

srijame

Hello,

The tutorial was written to illustrate several features of SMS including the data calculator. Admittedly, it should probably be rewritten to provide a more practical approach to generating a mesh.

The important thing about creating a mesh is ending up with a mesh that has refinement in your area of interest and adequately represents the geometry for your area. I realize this is quite subjective and site specific and you will need to do your best there.

The tutorial illustrates using scalar density paving to size the elements when doing a map->2D Mesh. Each element will try to have side lengths equal to the value at its location in the scatterset being used for the size function. The tutorial uses an approach that radiates out from the area of interest. I think you would do just as well estimating the size you want in your area of interest and other locations. Another good option is to use LTEA which is a tool designed to help generate meshes with refinement in the best areas possible. In either case, I recommend using the smooth scalar dataset tool to make your transitions smooth.

We recommend generating meshes in a cartesian (like UTM) system and you can convert the data within SMS. Once you are finished meshing, you can convert the data back to geographic to run ADCIRC.

Could you be more specific on what you were doing when you got the error that it couldn't import the scatter data?

Hi,

I'm now learning ADCIRC and get succeed running the example given. But when i try to do in my domain area, I'm in trouble creating the mesh. I used long lat decimal degree in the bathymetry data, and I chose any point (for distance calculation) since my domain have no small bay or inlet. When i did the calculation in data calculator, i dont have any idea whether the calculation correct or not. Until I build polygon, and creating 2D mesh, it said it cannot import scatter data, or in SMS 8.1 it said "invalid boundary condition" (first trial in SMS 10.0).

I got the bathymetry data from global data, is there anything wrong with the data or had my input calculation in Data Calculator incorrect?

Thanks.

srijame

I just succeed creating mesh. the problem is I should have scatter data in UTM coordinates, unless it can't calculate the mesh.

Thank you very much. I am now trying to get suitable size for the mesh.

Have a great day.

Rgds,

Nina

Hello,

The tutorial was written to illustrate several features of SMS including the data calculator. Admittedly, it should probably be rewritten to provide a more practical approach to generating a mesh.

The important thing about creating a mesh is ending up with a mesh that has refinement in your area of interest and adequately represents the geometry for your area. I realize this is quite subjective and site specific and you will need to do your best there.

The tutorial illustrates using scalar density paving to size the elements when doing a map->2D Mesh. Each element will try to have side lengths equal to the value at its location in the scatterset being used for the size function. The tutorial uses an approach that radiates out from the area of interest. I think you would do just as well estimating the size you want in your area of interest and other locations. Another good option is to use LTEA which is a tool designed to help generate meshes with refinement in the best areas possible. In either case, I recommend using the smooth scalar dataset tool to make your transitions smooth.

We recommend generating meshes in a cartesian (like UTM) system and you can convert the data within SMS. Once you are finished meshing, you can convert the data back to geographic to run ADCIRC.

Could you be more specific on what you were doing when you got the error that it couldn't import the scatter data?