GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

definition of geometry gradient in the dataset toolbox

Andrea

Hello everybody,

I was trying to figure out how the gradient of a given scatter set is calculated in the data calculator - spatial option.

In the wiki I found this definition:

"Gradient. Creates a function that gives the gradient at each node. The gradient is calculated as the run divided by the rise."

Is it possible to have a more explicit definition? in particular, as I suppose the run is the distance between two nodes and the rise the relative vertical difference,

the gradient at each node is then the average of run divided by rise between all its neighbor points? how many points are considered?

Thank you

Andrea

The gradient at a point is computed by averaging the normals of all the planar faces attached to that point. For a vertex in a TIN, that includes all the triangles attached to the vertex. For a node in a mesh, that includes all the elements attached to the node.

Currently SMS simply averages the normals, without weighting them based on the area of the adjacent faces. This could be a modification or an additional option in the future.

Hello everybody,

I was trying to figure out how the gradient of a given scatter set is calculated in the data calculator - spatial option.

In the wiki I found this definition:

"Gradient. Creates a function that gives the gradient at each node. The gradient is calculated as the run divided by the rise."

Is it possible to have a more explicit definition? in particular, as I suppose the run is the distance between two nodes and the rise the relative vertical difference,

the gradient at each node is then the average of run divided by rise between all its neighbor points? how many points are considered?

Thank you

Andrea