GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Zero or Negative Area for Element.....

mjwoodbury

Hey folks,

I am working on a RMA 2 steady state model and received the following message in the output:

--> ZERO OR NEGATIVE AREA for Element= 4544 Imat= 0 ignor if imat > 900

This message is repeated about 200 times for the various elements. This doesn't appear to be a catastrophic error as I still get reasonable results from the model. I understand that this is a result of elements connection being made clockwise rather than counter-clockwise. I haven't been able to determine from the user manual/tutorials how to re-connect the elements in the appropriate direction.

If anyone knows of a tutorial that describes this process I'd appreciate hearing back from you.

Cheers.

Hi,

In general we try to prevent elements from being created in the wrong direction. Once they are there, we don't have a defined way to automatically get rid of them.

One thing you could try doing is saving your mesh in a .2dm file and reloading it. Unfortunately, you would have to setup your BC over.

I wish I could have been more help. If SMS created the mesh and you can give us repeatable steps to create a bad mesh, please let us know.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hey folks,

I am working on a RMA 2 steady state model and received the following message in the output:

--> ZERO OR NEGATIVE AREA for Element= 4544 Imat= 0 ignor if imat > 900

This message is repeated about 200 times for the various elements. This doesn't appear to be a catastrophic error as I still get reasonable results from the model. I understand that this is a result of elements connection being made clockwise rather than counter-clockwise. I haven't been able to determine from the user manual/tutorials how to re-connect the elements in the appropriate direction.

If anyone knows of a tutorial that describes this process I'd appreciate hearing back from you.

Cheers.