GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Exporting SMS-TUFLOW result to Arc GIS

sukark

Chris,

I gave several try but couldn't succeed to get the proper results. Could u please give some examples or illustration, which would be very helpful for me.

Thanks

sudhir

First, open your mesh in SMS, then your results, for example flow depth or water surface elevation. If you want plot max. flow depth in ArcGIS go to "Data" and "Data calculator" and calculate max flow depth. The data calculator is quite sophisticated and self explaining.

Then go to "Data" and "Zonal classification". There you have to define some zones, for example flow depth between 0.0 - 0.5m, 0.5 - 1.0 m, 1.0 - 1.5... and so on. For each zone you have to define a criteria, for example: "Zone 0 - 0.5" with the criteria depth between "0 and 0.5".

Be sure to check "merged coverage" and then press ok. Depending on the size of your mesh, the zonal classification can take hours!

When the calculation has finished, you can find the results in a new map coverage. Select this coverage and go to file and chose save as "shape file", check in the next box "polygon features". Now you can add this shape file to your GIS project.

Be sure to use at least SMS version 10.1.8 or 10.0.10. In SMS 9.2 and 10.1.3 the zonal classification doesn't work!

tell me if it worked.

greetz

Chris

post-309-129492703955_thumb.jpg

First, open your mesh in SMS, then your results, for example flow depth or water surface elevation. If you want plot max. flow depth in ArcGIS go to "Data" and "Data calculator" and calculate max flow depth. The data calculator is quite sophisticated and self explaining.

Then go to "Data" and "Zonal classification". There you have to define some zones, for example flow depth between 0.0 - 0.5m, 0.5 - 1.0 m, 1.0 - 1.5... and so on. For each zone you have to define a criteria, for example: "Zone 0 - 0.5" with the criteria depth between "0 and 0.5".

Be sure to check "merged coverage" and then press ok. Depending on the size of your mesh, the zonal classification can take hours!

When the calculation has finished, you can find the results in a new map coverage. Select this coverage and go to file and chose save as "shape file", check in the next box "polygon features". Now you can add this shape file to your GIS project.

Be sure to use at least SMS version 10.1.8 or 10.0.10. In SMS 9.2 and 10.1.3 the zonal classification doesn't work!

tell me if it worked.

greetz

Chris

Hello Chris,

I checked the version of SMS and unfortunately it is 10.1.3. In TUFLOW site, there is TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe package which says that it converts .2dm, .dat files into mapinfo .mif/.mid files. I couldn't follow the instruction properly as i am just beginner into this stuff, If you have used that package, could u please guide me? Or is there some other alternatives to export the results to Arc GIS.

regards

sudhir

Hello Chris,

I checked the version of SMS and unfortunately it is 10.1.3. In TUFLOW site, there is TUFLOW_to_GIS.exe package which says that it converts .2dm, .dat files into mapinfo .mif/.mid files. I couldn't follow the instruction properly as i am just beginner into this stuff, If you have used that package, could u please guide me? Or is there some other alternatives to export the results to Arc GIS.

regards

sudhir

Sorry, I don't know this package. But I suggest you should get the free update for your SMS V10.1.8 here.

Be sure to download the proper version (32bit vs. 64bit)

With this update you will be able to export your results with the zonal classification feature as I described above.

Greetz

Chris