GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Seep2d - understanding the model

GMS User

I's my first attempt to use the seep2d package.

I build a simple seep2d model to sim a sheet-pile (as described in the the seep2d - confined tutorial fig.3-1).

The model description in image 1 (gms-seep2d-model-in.jpg).

The acquifer is confined and h0 is the water level on the left of the model while h1 is the water level needed for the excavation on the right side of the sheet-page.

The clay blanket is not present, while the sand is present (9 m height). Instead of the clay level I have a loam one ( 1 m height) with a k-loam 1/1000 of the k-sand level. The loam level is continous over the sand one.

How can I set the id material to the mesh element? I simply create 2 materials and then select the mesh element and set their properties from Menu-edit-properties.

I set the unit weight of water to consistent units (9810 N/m3).

I run seep2d and the total head is computed only in the loam level (gms-seep2d-totalhead-left-out.jpg).

While constructing the seep2d model the z botton is set to 0 and the z top il the loam level at 10. Is it correct as the water level is greater than 11? Why the total head is contoured with values of 11 in the model where the z values is 10? Are h and z independent?

I read the flow rate in each mesh element, but there is not a way as the flow-budget option in modflow to compute the flow rate in a group of selected mesh element?

Why they are all zeros?

Flow rate with negative values means that on the right (neg values) the water is moving to left (pos values)?

Thanks

dlattuada

See responses below

I's my first attempt to use the seep2d package.

I build a simple seep2d model to sim a sheet-pile (as described in the the seep2d - confined tutorial fig.3-1).

The model description in image 1 (gms-seep2d-model-in.jpg).

The acquifer is confined and h0 is the water level on the left of the model while h1 is the water level needed for the excavation on the right side of the sheet-page.

The clay blanket is not present, while the sand is present (9 m height). Instead of the clay level I have a loam one ( 1 m height) with a k-loam 1/1000 of the k-sand level. The loam level is continous over the sand one.

How can I set the id material to the mesh element? I simply create 2 materials and then select the mesh element and set their properties from Menu-edit-properties.

If you create the mesh using the map tools then you can assign the material to the polygon that represents the particular material zone.

I set the unit weight of water to consistent units (9810 N/m3).

I run seep2d and the total head is computed only in the loam level (gms-seep2d-totalhead-left-out.jpg).

While constructing the seep2d model the z botton is set to 0 and the z top il the loam level at 10. Is it correct as the water level is greater than 11? Why the total head is contoured with values of 11 in the model where the z values is 10? Are h and z independent?

I am not sure what is happening here. I would probably need to see the simulation to understand the question.

I read the flow rate in each mesh element, but there is not a way as the flow-budget option in modflow to compute the flow rate in a group of selected mesh element?

Why they are all zeros?

The flow rate data set produced by seep2d only shows flow into or out of the model domain. So at boundary nodes you can see the flow rate but nodes that are inside the mesh have a net flow rate of 0.

Flow rate with negative values means that on the right (neg values) the water is moving to left (pos values)?

Negative values mean flow out of the model domain and positive values mean flow into the model domain.

Thanks

dlattuada