GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

How to specify inactive regions for MODFLOW

swollman

I am trying to specify inactive regions (IBOUND=0) within a multilayer MODFLOW model which has a very fine grid with tens of thousands of cells. The only way I can see how to do this is by use of the IBOUND array in the grid editor, however this is very cumbersome, because it is a spreadsheet. Is there some way to use a mapping tool to draw polygons which can define the inactive regions?

There is a checkbox in the coverage setup dialog which defines the model boundary active area, but this is for the boundary of the whole model. I need to define smaller inactive zones within the model. These inactive regions are also different for each model layer.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

I am trying to specify inactive regions (IBOUND=0) within a multilayer MODFLOW model which has a very fine grid with tens of thousands of cells. The only way I can see how to do this is by use of the IBOUND array in the grid editor, however this is very cumbersome, because it is a spreadsheet. Is there some way to use a mapping tool to draw polygons which can define the inactive regions?

There is a checkbox in the coverage setup dialog which defines the model boundary active area, but this is for the boundary of the whole model. I need to define smaller inactive zones within the model. These inactive regions are also different for each model layer.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Set up a coverage which has polygons around all the *active* regions (under coverage setup, select layer range in the areal properties) and define which layers will be active for each polygon. After that, the trick is not trying to map the coverage to MODFLOW, but rather going to the Feature Objects menu and selecting "Activate Cells in Coverage"