GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

use generic mesh to run a model

geraldine

Hello,

I would like to run CGWAVE and ADCIRC on the same domain and I assume that I can use the same mesh in both models, but I can't find how! I have generated a mesh on my domain (using scalar density from data)in the "Generic 2D mesh" type of models and saved the mesh, then I opened it, being in an ADCIRC or CGWAVE coverage, but here there is no ADCIRC or CGWAVE menu appearing (Whereas, with a mesh generated in an ADCIRC model e.g., there used to be ADCIRC menu appearing when selecting the mesh data in the project explorer)... So I just can't run my model, like if there were no mesh existing!

Can anyone tell me how to use Generic 2D mesh in a model like ADCIRC for example?

Thanks,

Geraldine

Hi,

Currently SMS only supports one mesh at a time.

You can use the same domain for both CGWAVE and ADCIRC although generally I wouldn't recommend it. The CGWAVE mesh ought to be built using a size function based upon the wave length (spatially varied). It is best to have at least 10 elements per wavelength. ADCIRC domains can generally have larger element sizes. Also, generally the domain size for CGWAVE is generally smaller than for an ADCIRC domain.

However, if you have an ADCIRC domain that you want to use for a CGWAVE model there is a way to do this. Load your ADCIRC project, do a file save as and save your project under a different name. Use the switch current model command to switch to the CGWAVE model. Use the first project to run ADCIRC and the second to run CGWAVE.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

I would like to run CGWAVE and ADCIRC on the same domain and I assume that I can use the same mesh in both models, but I can't find how! I have generated a mesh on my domain (using scalar density from data)in the "Generic 2D mesh" type of models and saved the mesh, then I opened it, being in an ADCIRC or CGWAVE coverage, but here there is no ADCIRC or CGWAVE menu appearing (Whereas, with a mesh generated in an ADCIRC model e.g., there used to be ADCIRC menu appearing when selecting the mesh data in the project explorer)... So I just can't run my model, like if there were no mesh existing!

Can anyone tell me how to use Generic 2D mesh in a model like ADCIRC for example?

Thanks,

Geraldine

I realise now that I was in a wrong way trying to use the same domain in ADCIRC and CGWAVE... Anyway, your answer is really helpul!

What I really would like to do is generate a mesh in SMS for an ADCIRC project, but then use this mesh to run ADCIRC without SMS since I need some features not yet supported by SMS... Thus, my question is, can I use CGWAVE (this is the only SMS model I'm supposed to have) to build a domain and a mesh useable for an ADCIRC project (without SMS)?

I wish I could use ADCIRC in SMS but I need e.g. several ocean boundaries...

Thanks again Rusty,

Geraldine

Hi Geraldine,

You do need to have a license for the ADCIRC interface to export meshes in the ADCIRC fort.14 format.

I'm not sure why you understand that their is a problem using multiple ocean boundaries in SMS. This should work fine and I know we have used this functionality here. The only hiccup is that the LTEA size function generation tool doesn't work in automatic mode. There is a work around that we can help you with if you would like to use LTEA.

If you try using SMS and run into trouble with multiple ocean domains please let us know.

Cheers,

Rusty

I realise now that I was in a wrong way trying to use the same domain in ADCIRC and CGWAVE... Anyway, your answer is really helpul!

What I really would like to do is generate a mesh in SMS for an ADCIRC project, but then use this mesh to run ADCIRC without SMS since I need some features not yet supported by SMS... Thus, my question is, can I use CGWAVE (this is the only SMS model I'm supposed to have) to build a domain and a mesh useable for an ADCIRC project (without SMS)?

I wish I could use ADCIRC in SMS but I need e.g. several ocean boundaries...

Thanks again Rusty,

Geraldine

Hi Rusty,

I have succeeded in running ADCIRC with 2 ocean boundaries in SMS one time only, and the problem was that the flow was coming from the 2 different boundaries instead of circulating from one to the other (one boundary is the ocean, the other one is a fjord). Is there a way to solve this problem?

During the last days, I have been changing a little bit this area to make new tries, but now I'm getting the "WARNING: Elevation.gt.WarnElev" message while running ADCIRC... And I can't find what's leading to that!

Every little suggestions for, at least, one of those two problems could considerably help me, because I'm stucked now!!!

Geraldine

Good questions.

On #1, if you have ocean boundaries you are specifying water surface elevations through time. At each element edge if the wse of the specified tidal boundary is higher than the current wse at the nodes you will get an inflow. Alternatively, if you the tidal boundary wse is lower you get an outflow. It sounds like the problem is that the wse at the fjord isn't trailing the inflow curve far enough causing filling from both sides. Getting the appropriate tidal boundaries for a small domain is much tougher than for a large domain because the offsets are smaller and may not be well represented in a global database. Most databases are setup to provide data where results are simple (deep water). ADCIRC is very friendly to large domains. When the ADCIRC developers do runs for Hurricanes in Louisiana they have a mesh that encompasses the whole Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic from somewhere around Greenland to Brazil. This gives the model lots of space to resolve the tidal signal. This is obviously extreme, but I would try to get all of your boundaries into fairly deep ocean and out of the fjord. If you can't do this you need to be sure that your boundaries reflect reasonable time lags and correct amplitudes.

On #2, this sounds like a stability problem. I would try increasing the warmup time and decreasing the timestep.

Hi Rusty,

I have succeeded in running ADCIRC with 2 ocean boundaries in SMS one time only, and the problem was that the flow was coming from the 2 different boundaries instead of circulating from one to the other (one boundary is the ocean, the other one is a fjord). Is there a way to solve this problem?

During the last days, I have been changing a little bit this area to make new tries, but now I'm getting the "WARNING: Elevation.gt.WarnElev" message while running ADCIRC... And I can't find what's leading to that!

Every little suggestions for, at least, one of those two problems could considerably help me, because I'm stucked now!!!

Geraldine

• 2 weeks later...