GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Generation of feature arcs from scatter data

geraldine

Hello,

I would like to create feature arcs from a scatter data set containing xy and z coordinates. I tried the command "Scatter contours --> features" and then elevation 0m and spacing 10m (default values), but nothing is created... Then I tried to enter 20m for elevation and 1m for spacing, and some features arcs appeared, but really unconnected. My questions are:

1.What "spacing" exactly refers to?

2.Is there a way to generate feature arcs from a data set, at elevation 0m in order to represent a coastline?

I'm interested in any way to generate a coastline from xy or xyz scatter datas since the one I downloaded from NOAA does not exactly match with my " 0m elevation " points... And creating feature arcs manually is not an option since my scatter set is made of 2700 vertex...

Thanks for advices or comments,

Geraldine

The feature you describe should do what you were looking for.

One potential problem is that you don't have many places that span 0.0. Turn on a single contour line at 0.0 and see what it looks like. The generated arcs should be similar. If this still doesn't work, try getting your files to technical support (support@aquaveo.com). We will take a look and see if there is something we need to fix.

Hello,

I would like to create feature arcs from a scatter data set containing xy and z coordinates. I tried the command "Scatter contours --> features" and then elevation 0m and spacing 10m (default values), but nothing is created... Then I tried to enter 20m for elevation and 1m for spacing, and some features arcs appeared, but really unconnected. My questions are:

1.What "spacing" exactly refers to?

2.Is there a way to generate feature arcs from a data set, at elevation 0m in order to represent a coastline?

I'm interested in any way to generate a coastline from xy or xyz scatter datas since the one I downloaded from NOAA does not exactly match with my " 0m elevation " points... And creating feature arcs manually is not an option since my scatter set is made of 2700 vertex...

Thanks for advices or comments,

Geraldine

Thank you Rusty,

You are right about my very small number of places at z=0m. I tried with 1m since a lot of points are situated at this z, but the resulting features are so unconnected... Anyway, I then tried with another file that really well describe my coastline by a scatter set of points, all of them at z=0m. Nothing is created this time, and when I turn on a single contour line at 0m (really good idea by the way), I obtain discretes features arcs (like one point can be connected to only one other). Do I have too many points at z=0m this time?

Geraldine

Are you getting disjoint pieces because you hit the boundary of the scatterset? If so, you may try using zonal classification with a criteria of greater than 0.0 (or less than 0.0). This will include boundary segments as well as the values at the 0.0 contour line.

Thank you Rusty,

You are right about my very small number of places at z=0m. I tried with 1m since a lot of points are situated at this z, but the resulting features are so unconnected... Anyway, I then tried with another file that really well describe my coastline by a scatter set of points, all of them at z=0m. Nothing is created this time, and when I turn on a single contour line at 0m (really good idea by the way), I obtain discretes features arcs (like one point can be connected to only one other). Do I have too many points at z=0m this time?

Geraldine

Rusty,

Thanks to your comments, I found out a way to modify my data files so SMS is able to create feature arcs at my specified elevation. But the fact remains that, sometimes, "bad connections" are made... I hope my "print screen" attached will allow you to get what I mean by "bad connections"!

Do you think it's possibly due to my data files, or is it a random "mistake" while using this SMS function? If so, what do you recommend?

Thank you

Geraldine

post-1718-129008387572_thumb.jpg

From the look of the screenshot, I would guess there is something wrong with SMS. It may only show up with certain sets of data. If you could send us your files it would help us fix the issue. Contact support@aquaveo.com for upload instructions.

Rusty,

Thanks to your comments, I found out a way to modify my data files so SMS is able to create feature arcs at my specified elevation. But the fact remains that, sometimes, "bad connections" are made... I hope my "print screen" attached will allow you to get what I mean by "bad connections"!

Do you think it's possibly due to my data files, or is it a random "mistake" while using this SMS function? If so, what do you recommend?

Thank you

Geraldine