GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

max number of cells?

corondina

I´m using gms 6.0 under a single lock license on windows vista (core 2 duo processor and 2 Gb of RAM) and I want to set up a simple MODFLOW model of 2001 x 2001 cells, but the program became too slow ... is that a problem of machine capacity? or GMS or MODFLOW has a maximun number of cells alloawable to run the model reasonably?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I´m using gms 6.0 under a single lock license on windows vista (core 2 duo processor and 2 Gb of RAM) and I want to set up a simple MODFLOW model of 2001 x 2001 cells, but the program became too slow ... is that a problem of machine capacity? or GMS or MODFLOW has a maximun number of cells alloawable to run the model reasonably?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

There is not a specific limit for the number of cells that you can have. Much, but not all, of the limitations are based upon computer specifications. 32-bit programs like GMS have a limit as to the amount of memory that a single application can access. This limit is 3 GB or ram.

What exactly do you mean by the program became too slow? Is it crashing or does it take a long time to preform tasks?

There is not a specific limit for the number of cells that you can have. Much, but not all, of the limitations are based upon computer specifications. 32-bit programs like GMS have a limit as to the amount of memory that a single application can access. This limit is 3 GB or ram.

What exactly do you mean by the program became too slow? Is it crashing or does it take a long time to preform tasks?

Depend on the action, for example to assign starting heads to the cells it takes a long time, but for assign parameters like HK or Ss it crash. I will try with a lower number of cells.