GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

SMS crashing when displaying vectors 'on a grid'

AdamS

Hi,

I am attempting to use SMS 10.0.6 to look at TUFLOW vectors results ‘on a grid’, however every time I try to display these results SMS crashes. When I display vectors ‘on each node’ it works fine, the problem only occurs when I attempt to display them ‘on a grid’. The file size of a typical V.dat file is around 351,000Kb

Any ideas on how to prevent this or why it is happening?

Adam

Hi Adam,

I assume that you are using multiple 2D domains. If so, I do know why it is happening but unfortunately I don't know of a good solution at this point.

To display the vectors we need to know the dataset value associated with each of the vectors. This value is determined by interpolating within the element covering the point. In order to quickly find the element for a point we use a search technique that uses neighbor information. This search technique assumes that there aren't overlapping elements which we don't allow users to create. Unfortunately, when TUFLOW creates grids using multiple 2D domains it can create elements that overlap.

I am not sure what would be a good solution at this point. Is your area of interest within a single grid? If so, we may be able to doctor your files so you can read in just that grid for viewing. I wish I could think of a better option. If the values at a specific grid would be useful, please contact technical support (support@aquaveo.com) and get directions to upload the files and tell them which grid you want to view.

Hi,

I am attempting to use SMS 10.0.6 to look at TUFLOW vectors results ‘on a grid’, however every time I try to display these results SMS crashes. When I display vectors ‘on each node’ it works fine, the problem only occurs when I attempt to display them ‘on a grid’. The file size of a typical V.dat file is around 351,000Kb

Any ideas on how to prevent this or why it is happening?

Adam