GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

adcirc serial executable

Guest karunakar

Guest karunakar

hi there.,

i ve a small query out here.,

why is the adcirc executable provided with sms 64bit(upgraded) isn't 64 bit.,

why isn't the sms package incapable of using multicore processors when generating a mesh

and one more is what is the max no of nodes acceptable, coz when preparing control files, some of the node no in coriolis force argument are turning up as *********** beyond 99999,

one more is :), why not there is some tool to automatically merge the estuaries into sea, when they are more in no (clean doesnt work here).

and it will be better if some ftp code is included with the software so that the grid and control files can be exported to a computational server(cluster based) and the executable of adcirc can be remotely provoked from a work station.

Guest karunakar

hi there.,

why isn't the sms package incapable of using multicore processors when generating a mesh

and one more is what is the max no of nodes acceptable, coz when preparing control files, some of the node no in coriolis force argument are turning up as *********** beyond 99999,

one more is :) , why not there is some tool to automatically merge the estuaries into sea, when they are more in no (clean doesnt work here).

and it will be better if some ftp code is included with the software so that the grid and control files can be exported to a computational server(cluster based) and the executable of adcirc can be remotely provoked from a work station.

'm sorry admin, pl move this to an appropriate location.

think quoted at wrong forum branch

Hi Karunakar,

Thanks for the feedback and questions. I will try to address each one.

"why is the adcirc executable provided with sms 64bit(upgraded) isn't 64 bit."

- We don't have a compiled 64-bit version of ADCIRC for the PC. The main benefit of 64-bit processing is the ability to get a hold of more memory. This is a larger concern within SMS itself than the models run through SMS. The 32-bit ADCIRC should run fine on a 64-bit machine.

"why isn't the sms package incapable of using multicore processors when generating a mesh"

- The algorithms that we use to generate meshes are somewhat difficult to parallelize because they are serial in nature. We have done some multi-processor support within SMS but have focused on the areas where we can get the highest return on investment. Optimizing this code will be an area of ongoing work.

"one more is what is the max no of nodes acceptable, coz when preparing control files, some of the node no in coriolis force argument are turning up as *********** beyond 99999"

- I'm not familiar with this issue. Could you be more specific on where this shows up in the file? It would be even better (terrific in fact) if you could get me a set of SMS files that experiences this (email support@aquaveo.com for upload directions).

"why not there is some tool to automatically merge the estuaries into sea, when they are more in no (clean doesnt work here)"

- I am having a little bit of a difficult time understanding exactly what you are trying to do. I prefer creating ADCIRC meshes using a full surface representation of the bathymetry and using scalar density paving. There are options for merging both scattersets and meshes. I'm not sure what your clean comment is regarding. Perhaps you could send me starting files and what you want merged together and I could give you some ideas (again email support@aquaveo.com) for upload instructions.

"it will be better if some ftp code is included with the software so that the grid and control files can be exported to a computational server(cluster based) and the executable of adcirc can be remotely provoked from a work station."

- We have discussed doing this. As with everyone else, we have a limited amount of time and resources and haven't been able to get to this. It is definitely something that may happen down the road.

I am sorry that I wasn't able to answer all of your questions. If you could add some detail on some of the questions, perhaps I could give more complete answers. Also, feel free to contact technical support and they can also help you out. You have provided some useful feedback on features you think would be good to add or improve in the feature. We appreciate this and hope you will continue to give us ideas on how we can make SMS better.

hi there.,

one more is :) , why not there is some tool to automatically merge the estuaries into sea, when they are more in no (clean doesnt work here).