GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

SMS and Hydro_AS-2D - Problem and Solution

Guest Michael71

Guest Michael71

Hi Community

my colleagues and me are working with SMS and Hydro_AS-2D always using the most recent version.

Several weeks ago we had problems with the 2dm-files generated by SMS.

Hydro_AS-2D crashed, the FORTRAN error message is related to an Input/Output problem.

To figure out a solution we opened an 'old' 2dm-file (generated with SMS 10.1.4 I guess) with the most recent version of SMS and saved it again without any changes.

The comparison of 'old' and 'new' 2dm-file showed that SMS latterly adds the mesh name in the second line.

Obviously this is the reason for Hydro_AS-2D to crash and deleting that line solves the problem!

Certainly it's not a big deal to delete that line, nevertheless a little bit annoying.

Unfortunately I am not quite sure in which version of SMS this was changed, however SMS developers should know...

So long

Michael

• 7 months later...

SMS latterly adds the mesh name in the second line.

Obviously this is the reason for Hydro_AS-2D to crash and deleting that line solves the problem!

We recently updated to SMS 10.1.11 from a previous version (10.1.2, I think) and we experienced the same problem.

It took us ages to find the problem, as HYDRO_AS-2D crashes without comment. Only by reading this post did we find the solution (thanks, Michael71).

Please either remove this additional line from the output or talk to the HYDRO_AS-2D-developers so that the model engine understands the changed file format. I would prefer if you could revert to the old file format, as updating HYDRO_AS is a pain.

Just to make it clear, the offending line is the second one beginning with "MESHNAME" as shown in the following example:

MESH2D
MESHNAME "hydro_as-2d"
E3T 1 1 4 3 1
E3T 2 3 2 1 1