GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum

Is this method to construct mesh for femwater right?

Lytton

I have found a method to construct mesh, but I am not sure about it.

I divided my research area(rectangular) into two parallel parts (the eastern and the western part) using a line. Then I built 2-D mesh and 3-D mesh for the east part separately by chosing the polygon of the east part. Then I do the same thing to the west part of the research area. Both of the two parts have same mesh layers. Then I ran FEWATER, and found that the result is somewater weired. The pressure head is discontinuous at the joint face of the two parts(display in "colour fill" model).

Could anybody tell me whether I use this method to construct mesh is OK? Can this method model the "water-resisting fault" ?

Thanks!!

• 8 months later...
I have found a method to construct mesh, but I am not sure about it.

I divided my research area(rectangular) into two parallel parts (the eastern and the western part) using a line. Then I built 2-D mesh and 3-D mesh for the east part separately by chosing the polygon of the east part. Then I do the same thing to the west part of the research area. Both of the two parts have same mesh layers. Then I ran FEWATER, and found that the result is somewater weired. The pressure head is discontinuous at the joint face of the two parts(display in "colour fill" model).

Could anybody tell me whether I use this method to construct mesh is OK? Can this method model the "water-resisting fault" ?

Thanks!!

The way that you construct the 3D mesh results in the different ids for the same node, so the same nodes have two different pressure heads.

This method can be used when the line is imperviable fault, the discontinuous phenomena is reasonable.