GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Raiz Roland Robert

flood maps based on Dam Break scenario

Hello dear community,

Searching for a solution to my problem, someone recommended me Aquaveo. I will shortly describe the issue and hopefully ,in time, I can reach my goals with your help.

The topic would be a simulation (using GIS techniques) of the area that will be affected by floods if a dam breaks, I guess we can call the objective a flood zone risk map(the scenario refers to a hypothetical dam rupture because of some reason and the flood induced by the water (lake) that is retained by the dam). I want to make this study on an accumulation lake near my home city. Floods are a major problem in my country and this study could help in risk assessment projects.

I find difficulties in:

1st of all, in choosing the software(extensions) that could do this.

2nd - establishing the data needed in order to get the maximum out of these programs

3rd (possibly a 2nd)the methodology that needs to be followed.

I read a few recommendations made by Mr Chris Smemoe about using HEC-RAS and consulting the users manual. I think this could be a 1st step but the issues mentioned before still remain unclear. Please do not think that I want others to do my job, I just want someone to show me guidance in this matter because our teachers are not very experienced in these sort or studies.

Please let me know if I should mention properties of the dam construction or/and volume data of the water that it retains (properties of the lake that would flood the zone if the dam breaks).

Kind regards to the WMS community,

Edited by Raiz Roland Robert

Mr. Raiz Roland Robert,

I can help you find a solution to your modeling problem. Please contact me at cballard@aquaveo.com to discuss details of your situation further.

Best regards,

Chad Ballard