GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
amy

Interpolate wind and pressure data to mesh

Hi,

I need to do simulations using ADCIRC (SMS 10.1) with wind and pressure forcing. In SMS, I opened the files .sup for wind and pressure (scatter data) and then tried to interpolate them to the mesh. If I choose the "linear" interpolation, it generates the interp files, but the values are all zero. If I choose the "inverse distance weighted" I get the message: "The software has crashed".

What is going on? How can I interpolate the pressure and wind scalars to the mesh nodes?

Thanks,

Amy

Amy,

The crash is a bug and has been reported to the developers.

The reason that you are getting zero values is because your scatter set does not line up with your mesh. Your scatter set lies completely outside your mesh. You will probably need to check your coordinate system.

Amy,

The crash is a bug and has been reported to the developers.

The reason that you are getting zero values is because your scatter set does not line up with your mesh. Your scatter set lies completely outside your mesh. You will probably need to check your coordinate system.

Nathan,

When I reported the problem to you, I was using the coordinate system in Lat/Lon WGS84 for both the mesh and the scatter sets, and the mesh was completely inside the scatters (with some scatter points inside the mesh domain), so it was supposed to interpolate correctly, with non zero values, wasn't it? Those were the coordinates in the files I sent to you. I don't understand why you say that the scatter set lies completely outside your mesh.

Then I tried with the UTM coordinate system for both. Again the mesh was completely inside the scatters and I got exactly the same problems. What is going on?

Which coordinate system should I use when interpolating the data to the mesh?

Thanks,

Amy

It should not matter what coordinate system you use as long as it is the correct one for your data.

This issue has been reproduced and a bug report has been submitted.

Thanks for your help Amy.