GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prarxol

Soil data in WMS (SSURGO format)

I am having problem in using "soil data" in WMS 8.3.3. As per tutorial (parkcity), soil data should be in SSURGO format and it should contain following columns:

FID, Shape .....Musym, Mukey Hydgrp, Texture, Ksat, Moisture, Fieldcap, Wiltgpt.

I downloaded the soil data from http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov . But the original data does not contain these columns (Hydgrp, Texture, Ksat, Moisture, Fieldcap, Wiltgpt.). Later, I managed to retrieved Hydgrp, Texture, Ksat columns from soil data base in the downloaded folder.

I am still missing Moisture, Fieldcap, Wiltgpt column in soil data.

As per this link (http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/WMS:What's_new_in_WMS_version_8.3), it says that "Using the “Join SSURGO Data” command in WMS 8.3, you can now join more attributes besides those associated with the *.dbf file"

But, the *.dbf that I obtained in downloaded folder does not contain any of columns that I need. Is there any place where I can find this *.dbf file?

Here is a link that will take you to a page that has a link to a soil preparation spreadsheet. There is also a link that contains more information about preparing soil data.

Link

I used the "GsshaSsurgoImport.xls" to create the Soil data. But, It does not worked well. I tried it on Excel 2003. It made *.dbf file which only contain "FID Shape .....Musym Mukey" fields. But, I need " Hydgrp, Texture, Ksat, Moisture, Fieldcap, Wiltgpt" fields too.

Can anyone tell me how to obtain those fields?

I used the "GsshaSsurgoImport.xls" to create the Soil data. But, It does not worked well. I tried it on Excel 2003. It made *.dbf file which only contain "FID Shape .....Musym Mukey" fields. But, I need " Hydgrp, Texture, Ksat, Moisture, Fieldcap, Wiltgpt" fields too.

Can anyone tell me how to obtain those fields?

Hi,

The latest version of WMS 8.3 has an "Join SSURGO Data" command that should do what you need to do if you have SSURGO soil data. This command can be accessed by right-clicking on a shapefile in the GIS module. This command joins the SSURGO attributes to your shapefile.

Chris

Hi,

The latest version of WMS 8.3 has an "Join SSURGO Data" command that should do what you need to do if you have SSURGO soil data. This command can be accessed by right-clicking on a shapefile in the GIS module. This command joins the SSURGO attributes to your shapefile.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I did that and I am able to join the soil data. But, I got new problem while clicking "Create Coverages" in Define Land Use and soil data. It says "No shapes selected". I have loaded all needed shape file at this point. I have attached the screen shot of the error.

Can you tell me what does this mean?

Regrads,

Prajwol

Error on -define land use and soil data.bmp

Prajwol,

That error comes up if you don't have any land use or soil shapefile polygons (in the GSSHA module) overlapping your GSSHA coverage. Make sure your polygons overlap your GSSHA coverage and you shouldn't get this error.

Chris