GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Jose Maria

CMS Flow Grid

Dear Colleagues:

I am trying to define a variable grid in CMS Flow, following the steps marked at the report by Mitch Brown and Nick Kraus (Tips for Developing Bathymetry Grids for Coastal Modeling System Applications), but, when I try to convert from the coverage to the grid, the options of refine are not enabled. Is it a problem of SMS, or perhaps CMS Flow doesn't allow this figure? How can I fix the problem?

Cheers,

Jose

Edited by Jose Maria

Hi Jose,

In order for the refine point options to show up in that dialog, you have to first define refine points. A refine point defines the size a grid will be at a specific location. Often you want to create refine points in your areas of interest such as the middle of your inlet, etc. Once you have created a point double click on it or right click and select attributes to specify the refine options for the point. You can choose to refine the grid in one direction or both and specify the grid cell size directly under the refine point. Once you have done this, when you do Map->2D grid you should be able to choose to use the refine options and the maximum cell sizes in the grid.

Dear Colleagues:

I am trying to define a variable grid in CMS Flow, following the steps marked at the report by Mitch Brown and Nick Kraus (Tips for Developing Bathymetry Grids for Coastal Modeling System Applications), but, when I try to convert from the coverage to the grid, the options of refine are not enabled. Is it a problem of SMS, or perhaps CMS Flow doesn't allow this figure? How can I fix the problem?

Cheers,

Jose

Dear Colleagues:

Cheers,

Jose

Jose,

The CHETN you are referencing may be a little out of date, if you are using SMS 10.1 for your project. We have converted this technical note over to our Wiki site and have updated it a little to reference SMS 10.1. I also added a little more information about selecting the appropriate coverage, about how to set the resolution for the refine points and generating a grid from the pull-down menus. You can read the updated CHETN at the following location:

http://cirp.usace.ar...iki/CHETN-IV-69

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions about this, just email and I will help you as I can, or we can discuss at the workshop in a couple weeks.

Mitch

Jose,

The CHETN you are referencing may be a little out of date, if you are using SMS 10.1 for your project. We have converted this technical note over to our Wiki site and have updated it a little to reference SMS 10.1. I also added a little more information about selecting the appropriate coverage, about how to set the resolution for the refine points and generating a grid from the pull-down menus. You can read the updated CHETN at the following location:

http://cirp.usace.ar...iki/CHETN-IV-69

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions about this, just email and I will help you as I can, or we can discuss at the workshop in a couple weeks.

Mitch

Yes, it has helped a lot. Thank you Mitch.

Hi Jose,

In order for the refine point options to show up in that dialog, you have to first define refine points. A refine point defines the size a grid will be at a specific location. Often you want to create refine points in your areas of interest such as the middle of your inlet, etc. Once you have created a point double click on it or right click and select attributes to specify the refine options for the point. You can choose to refine the grid in one direction or both and specify the grid cell size directly under the refine point. Once you have done this, when you do Map->2D grid you should be able to choose to use the refine options and the maximum cell sizes in the grid.

Thanks, Rusty. It is working pretty well.