GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Werner Macho

Adaptive Tesselation

Hi All!

I recently had the chance to test a 10.1 SMS installation if it meets our requirements and run into several problems.

Probably I'm just to dumb to find it .. beside the fact that I like the new ordered UI - there are some things I just cannot find and I hope they did not dissapear on SMS10 (I still have to use SMS9 here).

So the most important thing is Adaptive Tesselation.

I usually import some dxf "drawings" and sometimes it is really important to me to cut "holes" into an existing mesh (at the correct height).

My workflow in SMS9 is somehow like:

import dxf -> convert CAD to Map -> (right click to select Type to "Generic 2D Mesh" -> Select Arcs -> Build Polygons -> select the polygon (which is becoming the hole in the mesh) -> "Feature Objects - Attributes" .. and there is the big change ... In SMS9 i get my "Polygon Attributes" Windows where I used to select "Adaptive Tessellation" as the Mesh Type - but in the new 10.1 there seem to be no "Adaptive Tessellation" anymore.

I can only select "None-Patch-Paving-Scalar Paving Density-Existing Nodes"

In SMS9 I was able to cut a hole into the existing mesh (with the boundarys from the map) by selecting "Feature Objects -> Map -> 2D Mesh" here - and deleting nodes and elements inside the polygon afterwards.

But in 10.1 I have tried everything but none of the existing mesh Types worked. (I assume it's the missing Adaptive Tesselation)

Probably the problem is elsewhere or someone has an easier solution to that (And still probably I'm just to dumb to find it) but can someone point me to the right direction where this has changed from SMS9 to SMS10

thanks a lot and .. I like SMS a lot!

Regards

Werner

Hi All!

I recently had the chance to test a 10.1 SMS installation if it meets our requirements and run into several problems.

Probably I'm just to dumb to find it .. beside the fact that I like the new ordered UI - there are some things I just cannot find and I hope they did not dissapear on SMS10 (I still have to use SMS9 here).

So the most important thing is Adaptive Tesselation.

I usually import some dxf "drawings" and sometimes it is really important to me to cut "holes" into an existing mesh (at the correct height).

My workflow in SMS9 is somehow like:

import dxf -> convert CAD to Map -> (right click to select Type to "Generic 2D Mesh" -> Select Arcs -> Build Polygons -> select the polygon (which is becoming the hole in the mesh) -> "Feature Objects - Attributes" .. and there is the big change ... In SMS9 i get my "Polygon Attributes" Windows where I used to select "Adaptive Tessellation" as the Mesh Type - but in the new 10.1 there seem to be no "Adaptive Tessellation" anymore.

I can only select "None-Patch-Paving-Scalar Paving Density-Existing Nodes"

In SMS9 I was able to cut a hole into the existing mesh (with the boundarys from the map) by selecting "Feature Objects -> Map -> 2D Mesh" here - and deleting nodes and elements inside the polygon afterwards.

But in 10.1 I have tried everything but none of the existing mesh Types worked. (I assume it's the missing Adaptive Tesselation)

Probably the problem is elsewhere or someone has an easier solution to that (And still probably I'm just to dumb to find it) but can someone point me to the right direction where this has changed from SMS9 to SMS10

thanks a lot and .. I like SMS a lot!

Regards

Werner

Hi Werner

I am very often cutting holes into meshes, with the same workaround as you describe above. I mostly use it to insert some new meshes. In my SMS 10.1.5 I am able to chose "Adaptive Tesselation" (see attachment)

Which version do you use?

I have scatter, map, mesh and GIS modules registered.

greetz

Christian

post-309-126882034004_thumb.jpg

Hi Christian!

I dont know what modules are registered there as i assume it is just a Test-version of SMS10.1.1 (as the "about" box says) and it's not my Computer there.

Probably I can ask him to update to the latest Version ..

Maybe it will be best to install the test version right here on my computer rather than asking some friends ;) But I'm afraid that it would probably break my existing SMS9 installation.

Do you know which modules have to be registered to be able to do adaptive tesselation there? (I'm rather out of updates regarding SMS - As I am a satisfied user of SMS9 - but probably it's time to upgrade ;) )

Maybe there is something wrong with the Installation there too - I'll check that ..

Thanks for your fast answer.. So for know I know there "should" be the menu point. ;)

regards

Werner

Hi Werner

I am very often cutting holes into meshes, with the same workaround as you describe above. I mostly use it to insert some new meshes. In my SMS 10.1.5 I am able to chose "Adaptive Tesselation" (see attachment)

Which version do you use?

I have scatter, map, mesh and GIS modules registered.

greetz

Christian

So for know I know there "should" be the menu point. ;)

yes, it should be there.

Just try the latest release. You can find it here click

In a test version all modules should be available and it works with our 4 modules enabled ;)

You can check your registered modules in "file" --> "register"

so long

greetz

EDIT: Werner, I am really sorry, I was working in a old machine where I was using 10.0.5 not 10.1.5!! And now, just noticed that in V10.1.5 "Adaptive Tesselation" is not available!

I am sorry for the mix-up

Edited by Chris24

Hi Again!

So there is really no Adaptive Tesselation any more? How to substitute that function? Do you have any suggestions? Is there an improved way (which I currently don't know)?

Furthermore (probably I should create a new Thread for that: I'm missing the "Scale -> Display Scale" function in Display Options -> General (still using my old SMS 9.0 to see whats new in 10.x)

As far as I searched in the 10.x Display Options I cannot find anything related to the Scale Bar .. For now I'm glad that I did not do an upgrade to 10.x .

Or did I search to less to find the scale bar?

Shall I create a new Topic? Or or is anyone out there willing to point me to the right menu in 10.x Display Options ;)

regards

Werner

EDIT: Werner, I am really sorry, I was working in a old machine where I was using 10.0.5 not 10.1.5!! And now, just noticed that in V10.1.5 "Adaptive Tesselation" is not available!

I am sorry for the mix-up

Hi Again!

So there is really no Adaptive Tesselation any more? How to substitute that function? Do you have any suggestions? Is there an improved way (which I currently don't know)?

Furthermore (probably I should create a new Thread for that: I'm missing the "Scale -> Display Scale" function in Display Options -> General (still using my old SMS 9.0 to see whats new in 10.x)

As far as I searched in the 10.x Display Options I cannot find anything related to the Scale Bar .. For now I'm glad that I did not do an upgrade to 10.x .

Or did I search to less to find the scale bar?

Shall I create a new Topic? Or or is anyone out there willing to point me to the right menu in 10.x Display Options ;)

regards

Werner

For 10.1, there is a new annotations module. In this module, you will find options for inserting scale bars, screen space images, north arrows, text, and drawing objects. Annotations are stored in layers (similar to coverages) which contain either screen space or world space anchored annotation objects. If you are used to working with SMS 9.0, you may be interested in visiting the following pages to see what's new:

http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:What's_New_in_SMS_10.0

http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:What's_New_in_SMS_10.1

As for the removal of the adaptive tessellation option, I will inquire about the specific reasons for the removal. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in hearing about examples you believe adaptive tessellation would be preferred to any of the paving options.

• Like 1

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your fast answer..

I'm just into testing the new 10.x functions and - you know - sometimes you are blind about searching .. and never think that there is a new modules where all these new handy functions are brought together..

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction.. I read the "What's New" but seems that i overlooked something..

For the thing with "adaptive tessellation" .. well I have a guidance here (obviously for SMS 9.x) about "integration from a new part of a net into an existing net". And whenever I have new parts of a net and I want to mesh them with existing nets I use this guidance.

Short explanation: to insert the new mesh into the existing one (with automeshing) i need the same boundary nodes in both parts.

In my guidance it is done with: "new part of a net" -> right mouse mesh -> Convert -> Mesh -> Map (selecting Mesh Boundaries -> Polygons"

Then load the existing net and use replace.

Map module -> select created polygons (Feature Objects -> Attributes: (Mesh Type= Adaptive Tessellation; Bathymetry Type=Existing Mesh)

And then Feature Objects -> Map -> 2D Mesh (Do not delete the existing mesh)

That creates the boundary nodes I need for the next steps (delete all data inside polygons - load the new net once more and append it to the existing mesh..

Hope my explanation is not too confusing..

And unfortunately I did not find out any other way to do it (you know - having a guidance probably switched of my brain) .. so I'm missing adaptive tesselation in 10.x

Thanks again for your answer and i hope you can point me into the correct direction (probably there is really no need for adaptive tessellation any more)

have a nice weekend

regards

Werner

For 10.1, there is a new annotations module. In this module, you will find options for inserting scale bars, screen space images, north arrows, text, and drawing objects. Annotations are stored in layers (similar to coverages) which contain either screen space or world space anchored annotation objects. If you are used to working with SMS 9.0, you may be interested in visiting the following pages to see what's new:

http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:What's_New_in_SMS_10.0

http://xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:What's_New_in_SMS_10.1

As for the removal of the adaptive tessellation option, I will inquire about the specific reasons for the removal. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in hearing about examples you believe adaptive tessellation would be preferred to any of the paving options.

You should be able to do the insert as you describe but use the mesh paving option instead. We removed adaptive tessellation because we couldn't find a situation that paving didn't create a superior mesh. We couldn't see the logic of maintaining inferior code.

By the way, in 10.1 the display scale option is named z magnification. Let me know if there are other questions we missed.

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your fast answer..

I'm just into testing the new 10.x functions and - you know - sometimes you are blind about searching .. and never think that there is a new modules where all these new handy functions are brought together..

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction.. I read the "What's New" but seems that i overlooked something..

For the thing with "adaptive tessellation" .. well I have a guidance here (obviously for SMS 9.x) about "integration from a new part of a net into an existing net". And whenever I have new parts of a net and I want to mesh them with existing nets I use this guidance.

Short explanation: to insert the new mesh into the existing one (with automeshing) i need the same boundary nodes in both parts.

In my guidance it is done with: "new part of a net" -> right mouse mesh -> Convert -> Mesh -> Map (selecting Mesh Boundaries -> Polygons"

Then load the existing net and use replace.

Map module -> select created polygons (Feature Objects -> Attributes: (Mesh Type= Adaptive Tessellation; Bathymetry Type=Existing Mesh)

And then Feature Objects -> Map -> 2D Mesh (Do not delete the existing mesh)

That creates the boundary nodes I need for the next steps (delete all data inside polygons - load the new net once more and append it to the existing mesh..

Hope my explanation is not too confusing..

And unfortunately I did not find out any other way to do it (you know - having a guidance probably switched of my brain) .. so I'm missing adaptive tesselation in 10.x

Thanks again for your answer and i hope you can point me into the correct direction (probably there is really no need for adaptive tessellation any more)

have a nice weekend

regards

Werner