GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris Blount

SMS colorbars

Is there a way to change the orientation of contour colorbars to horizontal? If not, I'd suggest this for the next release with more options for the labels as well (ie., show only every other or third label, etc.). Being able to export objects in an EPS format as well would be helpful for creating better figures in other software like Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks,

Chris

Can I also suggest adding the 'Background' and 'Border' features that are available in the 'Create Text Object' function in the Annotations module? It is difficult to see the legend sometimes and these features would help a lot.

Good idea. I'll see what we can do for the next version of SMS.

Can I also suggest adding the 'Background' and 'Border' features that are available in the 'Create Text Object' function in the Annotations module? It is difficult to see the legend sometimes and these features would help a lot.

As I think about it, there are a couple approaches that you can use to make these more readable.

1. In the general tab of the display options there is an option "Erase behind labels." Turning this on will make the text strings in the legends have the background color under them.

2. You can create an rectangular annotation behind the legend and make it whatever color you like but generally white or the background color. This should show up below the legend. This is my preference and looks quite sharp.