GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
katiedoyle

Printing/Display questions

How do I get my background image to print? I can print out my other layers, but the image is not showing up. Do I need to use the Screen Capture command and print from another program?

How do I crop an image? My watershed is right at the intersection of four quad sheets, so I have four large images taking up space in my files. http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/WMS:Crop_Image I could not find this command in WMS.

Is there a way to print out land use color-filled polygons using patterns instead of solid color? I see that you can do this for a soil type coverage. If not, what is the best way to show the land use polygons with the image behind them?

Katie,

To print, I would choose Edit | Copy to Clipboard and enter a bitmap scale factor of 2 or 3 (creates a higher resolution image) and then paste in Word and print from there.

WMS only lets you crop tif files that store cropping information as part of the files. I'm not sure if your files meet this condition or not. The way I usually crop images is by using the "get data tool" and dragging a box of the extent inside WMS and then downloading a new image from the TerraServer. This may or may not work for you depending on how the TerraServer images compare with the high resolution images you have in your project.

Patterns are only available for soil type coverages. Land use colors can be changed in the Display Options dialog (Map Data tab, Land Use Display Options), but there is no way to add transparency to the colors. So you have a few options for showing land use polygons with the image behind them. You can choose to display the polygons so that the polygon boundaries are colored but the polygons are not color filled. Or, you can export the land use coverage as a shapefile and manipulate them any way you like in a separate program such as ArcGIS. You could also create a 2D grid from your land use coverage and then create a TIN from the grid and this would allow you to add transparency inside WMS. It's kind of complicated to do, but if the other two options don't work for you, I could walk you through it.

I hope this helps.

-Clark

Clark,

The Get Data tool doesn't work for me. It used to, but it doesn't now. Could this be because they changed their URL, or does WMS access it a different way? I've attached the error message I get.

We don't have any GIS programs, but I think we may be able to do that in the newest version of MicroStation. I will let you know if I need to do the grid/TIN option.

TerraServer error.bmp

Katie,

Turn off everything but the coverage you want to export using the toggles in the Project Explorer. Then click File->Save As and change the file type to .shp. It will prompt you to choose what type of shapefiles you want to create. You should only need a polygon shapefile.

Clark

Katie,

It seems to work fine for me. I'm not sure what could be going wrong. You may want to double check your coordinate systems and make sure they are properly defined before you use the tool. That sometimes causes problems. There haven't been any changes to URLs or anything, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Clark