GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Cathy

Dual domain mass transport

Is there a way to read the immobile (sorbed) concentrations when using dual domain mass transport? It only appears possible to read the mobile concentrations.

Thanks for the reply, Alan. Is there a way to extract sorbed and regular concentrations for all the time steps? I know how to click on the individual timestep and export concentrations that way but not sure if there is a more efficient way to obtain all the timestep concentrations in a file. 

The Active Dataset Time Series plot will give you the values at selected cells for a particular dataset. Is this what you are looking for?

Alternatively, you can right click on the dataset and export it to a text format.

Hey Alan:

I can get a particular data set by time manually. I am looking to get all of the concentrations at all times once and then do the post processing myself. I think that comprehensive concentration dataset is only available in binary format, correct? Is there a way I can export that comprehensive (all times, all gridblocks) concentration data set in decimal?

Let me know. Thank you. 

On 6/19/2018 at 7:37 PM, Alan Lemon said:

The Active Dataset Time Series plot will give you the values at selected cells for a particular dataset. Is this what you are looking for?

Alternatively, you can right click on the dataset and export it to a text format.

I saw that the Active Dataset Time Series only get me ten cells at a time. I want the concentrations of all the cells at all timesteps. I rather not having to do the right click because I have a lot of time steps and 200 cells. 

Let me know if you want me to clarify my question further. Thank you for your help thus far. 

HI kpham89,

You get concentrations at all cells at all times in the method Allen has described. I think you have confused the output method "from active dataset to values" with the method that Allen has mentioned. If you right click active dataset graph and select view values, then you only see values from ten cells.

What Allen ask you to do is clicking on the active data set in MT3DS data set in the 3D grid, then right click, select view values, select output to text.

I hope this is clear.

I am, in fact, looking for bit more advanced output option than this. Please let me know if I can obtain the concentration fluxes though every face of cells. I put a more detailed request on this today in this form with the topic "Constituent across each cell face"

Edited by Lalith

On 10/14/2018 at 10:43 PM, Lalith said:

What Allen ask you to do is clicking on the active data set in MT3DS data set in the 3D grid, then right click, select view values, select output to text.

Hi Lalith:

So when I did what you said, I will get the concentrations for all the cells in a time step. See attached picture. Then if I click on the next time step, I get the next set of concentrations (all cells) for that time step. I would like a way to obtain concentrations for all the timesteps at once. Maybe in a ASCI II text file so I can program the simultaneous reading of the different time steps instead of having to click through the time steps individually. 

Let me know what you think.

-Kien

Capture.PNG

Found it.

Right click on the 3D grid and export it as a shapefile. Now, open the shapefile using ArcGIS and export the attribute table as a txt or csv file or database as you wish.

16 hours ago, Lalith said:

Right click on the 3D grid and export it as a shapefile. Now, open the shapefile using ArcGIS and export the attribute table as a txt or csv file or database as you wish.

Thanks for your help, Lalith. I right clicked on "grid" and was able to export my desired dataset as a shapefile. I installed ArcGIS and opened the attribute table from the shapefile. However, it looks to me the attribute table contained no concentration information. It only lists the cell and indicates whether or not the cells were active. See attached. 

Did I export the wrong shapefile? Can you point me to where you right clicked to get all concentrations for all time series?

Capture.PNG

I also had this issue when I exported the desired data set. It did not export values properly. Probably, a bug in GMS.

Just select the entire grid and all data sets. You will get the values. I know this is not the ideal way with lots of unnecessary data sets. You can report this to Aquaveo so that can fix it in their next version. For the moment, please go by all data sets for entire grid.

Just a side though about way around this bug.

Save your file as and delete all other unnecessary datasets that you do not want to export and now export entire grid and select all data sets (you have only your desired data set here). This is a way around.

Edited by Lalith