GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
mestan

ADCIRC Error

Hi everyone,

I got an error from Adcirc like "forrtl severe(24): en-of-file during read unit 15 file C:\Documents and Settings\...

Please let me know.

Thanks

It means that something isn't formatted right in the fort.15. Did you manually change anything in the fort.15 after SMS produced it? What version are you using (should say in the fort.16 output header)?

Chris

I didn't change anything in the fort.15. I'm using VERSION 48.4642

Thanks

mestan

I'm not in the loop in terms of development, but I have noticed a few slight changes between v47 and v48 in the input format. This may not have been fixed in the preproscessing done by SMS. Can you post your fort.15?

Chris

fort.15 is here.

I didn't notice anything wrong other than a zero WTIMINC. This is the time interval between wind inputs and has to be greater than zero.

Chris

Edited by Chris Blount

Firstly thanks for advices Chris.

I gave time interval to Adcirc and saved the file. Then I controlled fort.15, and WTIMINC is gretaer than zero now. But again when I run, the same error. but this time for fort.19 "forrtl severe(24): end-of-file during read unit 19 file..." "typcally your input value for tau0 sholuld be equal to tau adcirc version is 48.4642"

If you have a time, can you look my sms folders? I can mail them to you.

mestan

Edited by mestan

Firstly thanks for advices Chris.

I gave time interval to Adcirc and saved the file. Then I controlled fort.15, and WTIMINC is gretaer than zero now. But again when I run, the same error. but this time for fort.19 "forrtl severe(24): end-of-file during read unit 19 file..." "typcally your input value for tau0 sholuld be equal to tau adcirc version is 48.4642"

If you have a time, can you look my sms folders? I can mail them to you.

mestan

For the fort.19 error, it means you have an elevation specified boundary in your grid (fort.14) but since you don't have the boundary forcing specified in the fort.15 (NTIF and NBRF) it's looking for the fort.19 with non-periodic forcing data. If you're wanting to use tides, then use the tidal forcing tab in the model control to set up the boundary forcing. Otherwise, you'll need to supply a fort.19 file. I'm not sure if you can set the fort.19 up in SMS or you have to do it yourself because I've never used it.

The second part about tau0 is not a fatal error, but it is important for accuracy. From the ADCIRC webpage:

"TAU0 = Generalized Wave-Continuity Equation (GWCE) weighting factor that weights the relative contribution of the primitive and wave portions of the GWCE. If "primitive_weighting_in_continuity_equation" is specified as a nodal attribute in the fort.15 file above, this line will be read in but ignored. If a nodal attribute file is not used or "primitive_weighting_in_continuity_equation" is in the nodal attribute (fort.13) file, but not specified in the fort.15 file this TAU0 parameter will be used.

= 0, the GWCE is a pure wave equation.

> 1, the GWCE behaves like a pure primitive continuity equation. A good rule of thumb for setting TAU0 is to set it equal to the largest value of an equivalent linear friction factor (e.g, for linear friction TAU0 = TAU; for quadratic friction TAU0 = maximum (speed*CF/depth). Typical values for TAU0 are in the range of 0.001 - 0.01.

= -1, the TAU0 is spatially varying but constant in time; it is calculated according to depth as follows: If the depth is >=10 TAU0 is set to 0.005, if the depth is < 10, TAU0 is set to 0.020.

= -2, the TAU0 is spatially varying but constant in time; it is calculated according to depth as follows: if the depth is >=200 TAU0 is set to 0.005, if the depth is < 200 but > 1, then TAU0 is set to 1/depth, and if depth < 1, TAU0 is set to 1.0.

= -3, the TAU0 varies spatially. In high resolution areas, it also varies in time, and is dependent on the local friction and a tau0 "base" value (set by the user in the fort.13 file). High resolution areas are designated by a user by setting the tau0 in those areas to a value greater than 0.025 then Tau0 is calculated by Tau0 = Tau0base+1.5*Tk. The ceiling for the resulting tau0 in the calculation is 0.2. If Tau0base < 0.25 then Tau0 = Tau0base.

= -5, the TAU0 varies spatially and in time, and is dependent on the local friction; it is limited to a range specified by Tau0FullDomainMin and Tau0FullDomainMax.

If the above values have 0.1 added to them (i.e., resulting in 3.1, 5.1, etc), then the tau0 is also written out to a fort.tau0 file in the same format and with the same timing as the fort.63 file. The purpose of this file is simply to allow the user to verify that the tau0 values are being calculated and set as intended."

I've been using tau0=-5, but you also have to manually add another line with Tau0FullDomainMin and Tau0FullDomainMax (see the fort.15 page).

Chris

Sry, writing a query almost after 2 years,

i'm an padcirc V47 user.

has any one tried tau0=-5 successfully.