GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anna

Rma2 wind

Dear all,

I'm using RMA2 (SMS 10.1).

In RMA2 Model Control, Weather, Method for Wind: Original RMA2 Formula -Specify global wind, the program accepts wind direction values bigger than 360. What does it mean? Isn't wind direction expressed in degrees?

And if my project has horizontal and vertical projections expressed in meters, can I accordingly insert wind velocity values in meters/sec?

Thank you very much for your help.

SMS reads values larger than 360 degrees however these values correspond to a value between 0 and 360 degrees (ie. 540 degrees = 180 degrees) so there is no need to enter in any values greater than 360. The degree is measured from the positive x-axis counterclockwise. This makes straight up 90 degrees (or 450 or 810, etc)

You may check what units RMA2 is looking for by opening the .bc file and checking the BWC Card. The second value is the IWMX flag and as stated in the manual this value corresponds to the units:

0 = miles/hour

1 = meters/second

I believe by default this value is set to 1 meaning the winds would be entered in m/s but can be changed to 0 for mph if desired. The .bc file generated by SMS can be opened in a text editor like notepad.

• Like 1