GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
bubu

Help me some basic problem in STWAVE - SMS 10.0

Hi,

I come from Viet Nam. I'm new user of SMS. I get some problem with STWAVE model:

- How can I undo the previous action? (Ctrl + Z doesn't work ^^)

- Can I save the project before making grid? (In tutorial, the sample saves project after making grid)

Because If I make a mistake, I must do it from beginning, so it takes me a lot of time.

(Sorry If I make some English grammar mistakes in my question)

Thanks for your anwser!!!

When I run the sample, and save the project in another folder to sample folder.

My output files have an extension **.h5 (shin__CGrid.h5, shin__CGrid__obs.h5, shin__CGrid__sol.h5), don't like in the output files of the sample. Therefore, in the post proceesing, I can't choose file "shin_CGrid1.obs".

I try to run any times but the result still not like the sample. :(

How can I correct this mistake?

And, in the sample of model, I can get data with Notepad programe, but file **.h5, I can't do it.

Thanks for your answer.

Hi,

I'm not sure I entirely understand, but let me try to help you out a bit.

When you do a save as project in another folder, SMS should copy over the model inputs but it won't copy the model outputs. If you are trying to load the model outputs you will need to rerun the model.

We always hope that users will have the tools they need within the SMS interface and will not have to look for data in .h5 files. Some of the files will be difficult for a user to understand. However, if you feel that you need to see or work with the raw ouput files you can download the product HDFview from the url below. When these files are loaded into HDFview, you will see a folder hierarchy on the left. When you double click on one of the items in the hierarchy (other than a folder), the data should show up in the spreadsheet. You can copy/paste, and export data from this spreadsheet as needed.

http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/hdfview/

If the above is not helpful, please try explaining it again and I'll try to understand better.

Rusty

When I run the sample, and save the project in another folder to sample folder.

My output files have an extension **.h5 (shin__CGrid.h5, shin__CGrid__obs.h5, shin__CGrid__sol.h5), don't like in the output files of the sample. Therefore, in the post proceesing, I can't choose file "shin_CGrid1.obs".

I try to run any times but the result still not like the sample. :(

How can I correct this mistake?

And, in the sample of model, I can get data with Notepad programe, but file **.h5, I can't do it.

Thanks for your answer.

Thanks Rusty Jones!

My output files have only extension (*.h5),but in the tutorial, the post processing requires file energy (*.obs).

I rename .h5 to .obs but the model don't recognize that file.

How can I have the file .obs?

And when set the model control, how should I set the value of "Number of Interations" to get the best accurate.

I can see why you are confused. In the 10.0 tuorial it says to look for the obs file, which there is none. This must be a bug, but since we don't fix bugs in 10.0 you, only 10.1, you will just need to go around this problem. To get around this problem, load the "__obs.h5" by going to File | Open and selecting the "__obs.h5" file. Then when you go into STWAVE | Spectral Energy your data should already be loaded and there will be no need to import.

I would reccommend upgrading to SMS 10.1. If you have 10.1 this is how you would load the Spectral Energy:

In section 5.3 of the STWAVE tutorial, it explains in step 3 to open shin_curr_100m__obs.h5 which is not an obs file, but an .h5 file. So in order to visualize the Spectral Energy you need to goto STWAVE | Spectral Energy and click Import Spectra. Then click the Select file button and change the file type to XMF Grids & Spectrum (.*h5) and select the file that ends with "__obs.h5" and click open. This should import your spectra data.