GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Hans

10.1.3 Crash requires reloading Harware Lock

Hello,

I installed SMS 10.1.3 64bit (I am running Windows XP 64bit) this past week and have encountered an issue with the hardware lock connection. Any time the program crashes, or the program freezes and I end it through the task manager, I restart the program and am forced to reconnect to the hardware lock on our server. The crashing happens occasionally when I attempt to export a kmz vector file, or export a shape file. The freezing always occurs when I attempt to export a shapefile and have the program run in the background, i.e. work with another program while it exports, when I return to SMS the progress bar has frozen (not moved in at least 10 min), SMS is unresponsive, and I am forced to end the program through the task manager. When either of these scenarios occurs and I restart the program it forces me to reconnect to the hardware lock and usually will not find the hardware lock on our server after several attempts. I will then have to log off and back on, start the program, and reconnect the hardware lock before I am able use the program again. Occasionally, when I log back on and start SMS I will not have to reconnect to the hardware lock.

Another computer in our office runs SMS 10.1.3 32bit on Windows XP 32bit OS and has the same issues when the program crashes or freezes.

I'm very sorry for the trouble these issues have found. We'll do what we can to see if we can get it straightened out.

I have started a discussion with other developers in hope to figure out the source of the hardware lock problem.

My initial guess would be that SMS isn't disconnecting from the lock properly when crashing or being shutdown from task manager. Could you try looking at the lock information using the instructions below from the aquaveo.com hardware lock troubleshooting page when this happens next?

"You can check to see if your personal computer is properly set up to detect the hardware lock on the server computer by opening a internet browser on your personal computer and type in the following address including your server computer's IP address: http://(server IP address):6002

For example if your server computer's IP address is 111.222.3.44 then the address would read : http://111.222.3.44:6002"

I'm interested to know if you can see the lock information and if it still shows your shutdown SMS holding onto a license.

We will also see if we can reproduce and fix the other issues that lead up to this problem regarding the crashes and freezing you are experiencing. It would help tremendously if we could get a set of files from you that reproduces this problem for you. If you would be willing to send us a set of files, send an email to support@aquaveo.com and they will give you upload directions.

I'll post a follow-up if I find any leads on the hardware lock issue or need more information.

Hello,

I installed SMS 10.1.3 64bit (I am running Windows XP 64bit) this past week and have encountered an issue with the hardware lock connection. Any time the program crashes, or the program freezes and I end it through the task manager, I restart the program and am forced to reconnect to the hardware lock on our server. The crashing happens occasionally when I attempt to export a kmz vector file, or export a shape file. The freezing always occurs when I attempt to export a shapefile and have the program run in the background, i.e. work with another program while it exports, when I return to SMS the progress bar has frozen (not moved in at least 10 min), SMS is unresponsive, and I am forced to end the program through the task manager. When either of these scenarios occurs and I restart the program it forces me to reconnect to the hardware lock and usually will not find the hardware lock on our server after several attempts. I will then have to log off and back on, start the program, and reconnect the hardware lock before I am able use the program again. Occasionally, when I log back on and start SMS I will not have to reconnect to the hardware lock.

Another computer in our office runs SMS 10.1.3 32bit on Windows XP 32bit OS and has the same issues when the program crashes or freezes.