GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Error running BOUSS2D through the command prompt

Hi all,

We are having a problem with BOUSS2D.

For a number of projects, we need to run many BOUSS2D simulations to test a range of different wave conditions. For example, a recent piece of work we did involved more than 450 model runs. In order to do this, we use the SMS interface to set up the model runs, and then run all of the models through the command prompt (as per page 39 of the BOUSS-2D manual) using a batch file.

We have found an issue, which we believe has only started occurring since we updated from SMS 10.0 to SMS 10.1 (I understand that associated with this was an updated from bouss2d V2 to V3), the problem is as follows:

After completing each model run and writing the solution files/outputs, the model encounters an error during writing of the log file. A windows error box pos up saying that bouss2d has encountered an error, and upon viewing the log file, it is always missing the last few timesteps (generally 10 to 30 timesteps missing). This is a problem, because when the error pops up, the command prompt hangs, and doesn’t move onto the next model run, until we click OK on the error window. In this regard, we are currently unable to automatically batch our model runs.

If we run the exact same model run through the SMS interface, the log file writes fine, and there is no error, but we can’t “batch” model runs in this way (at least not to my knowledge).

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Regards

Joel Bailey

JFA Consultants

Hi all,

We are having a problem with BOUSS2D.

After completing each model run and writing the solution files/outputs, the model encounters an error during writing of the log file. A windows error box pos up saying that bouss2d has encountered an error ...

Hi!

Can't help with bouss2d (and most likely not with batch run problems either). At first I thought you might get by redirecting dos input/output, but you say a windows error box pops up. So my ideas propably won't help. Here's anyway the outline I use for RMA2/4-batch runs. In the following, retu.txt is an empty file mimicing ENTER (create e.g. by saving a new empty notepad document), '<' redirects dos input and '>' output. '>>' appends redirected output so that, at the end of batch runs, file 'times.log' gives the times each run ended (hence you'll be able to see the time it has taken to process each run).

The idea here is that (if bouss2d would give a DOS-error message - like 'Press any key to continue...'), the '<retu.txt' would handle that and allow the batch process to continue. Then the time-line would briefly 'slow down' the OS to allow it to close all bouss2d-output files (which I thought might be the cause for missing time steps).

Here's outline of the batch file

time <retu.txt>>times.log

bouss2d input_file_name1 <retu.txt

bouss2d input_file_name2 <retu.txt

etc.

heimo

heimo,

Thanks for your help, this does fix the problem (although, I'm not sure why!).

I have also discovered that if the log is created prior to running the model (e.g. if you re-run the model after running it previously, or if you create a blank .log file), then the problem doesn't occur.

Thanks again,

Joel