GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Jose Maria

Loading ts1

Dear friends:

I am running BOUSS2D under SMS 10.1 64 bits. I have reproduced a real wave storm at the Mediterranean sea. I have placed five probes, from which I have got (I assume) the time series of WSE. But I can't load them at SMS to see them.

I would like to perform an spectral analysis. Is there any facility to do that? Do I need to built my own software to do that?

Cheers,

Jose

Jose,

When you say you couldn't lode the probes into SMS, what do you mean? You try to open the file and nothing happens?

You should be able to load the probes and then view the data through the probe manager in the interface.

What spectral analysis are you trying to perform? There are several utilities for analysis of the time series inside of SMS and a plethora of utilities available from various other sites.

Alan

Dear friends:

I am running BOUSS2D under SMS 10.1 64 bits. I have reproduced a real wave storm at the Mediterranean sea. I have placed five probes, from which I have got (I assume) the time series of WSE. But I can't load them at SMS to see them.

I would like to perform an spectral analysis. Is there any facility to do that? Do I need to built my own software to do that?

Cheers,

Jose

Hi Alan.

I mean that, after loading sol.h5 file, I try to do exactly the same thing with ts1 file, and the system gives me an error (I have sent the window to you by email).

If I plot the probes they only appear as "probes with no time series". I am pretty sure that I am doing something wrong, but I do not what.

I am working with the last issue of 64 bits.

Referring to spectra: I try to get the spectra, the spectral parameters, to isolate long waves (for analysis of resonance), etc.

Happy 2.010,

Cheers,

Jose

P.S.: Anyway, congratulations for so helpful model. It is really nice and friendly. Despite of this, I would appreciate some improvements on wave reflection, absorption, etc. (I'll come back shortly on that)

Hi there

We have experienced the same problem. When loading the .ts1 file, the following error message is generated (see attached image also):

"Error reading BOUSS2d (.ts1) file: values"

It appears to occur when there are more than 3 probes (more than 4 columns of data) in the .ts1 file. We are working around this by running the model multiple times with 3 probes at a time (obviously a less than ideal situation). We have emailed support about this previously - looking forward to seeing this issue rectified.

Regards

Joel Bailey

JFA Consultants

post-290-126257598232_thumb.png

Following the reply by Joel:

Why don't you add the chance of extracting data from the completed run? So, if we forget a probe, or decided getting new ts in other place, there were no need to re-run the model, and we could save a lot of time.

Cheers,

Jose

Bouss2D outputs spatial datasets and probe data. The spatial datasets have timesteps which has a value for each grid corner. The probe data has data through time for a specific location and at times at multiple depths at the location.

Using the observation coverage in SMS, you can plot time-series data from spatial datasets.

The advantages of using probes is that:

1. You can get data at a finer increment at specific locations without huge files. Theoretically, you could output enough data on the corners to extract probes wherever you want but the storage requirements for this many timesteps could be very large.

2. Probes can give the option to get data from specific depths. The spatial datasets in SMS do not contain depth information. It is possible that the Bouss2D developers could output depth based datasets but currently this isn't available to us SMS developers as I understand it. Doing this would also increase the storage requirements for the spatial data.

It may be useful to use the observation coverage to get some time-based information from model runs rather then adding probes in many locations. However, probes can get access to more data than is available for the observation coverage.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Following the reply by Joel:

Why don't you add the chance of extracting data from the completed run? So, if we forget a probe, or decided getting new ts in other place, there were no need to re-run the model, and we could save a lot of time.

Cheers,

Jose