GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
robross

GIS to HEC-RAS

Say, anyone know if you can somehow map a centerline and cross sections created in Arc to the 1d-HYD coverages in WMS? Sure would be cool if I didn't have to trace them all!

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

This is a simple matter, really. Save your cross-section arcs from ArcView as a shapefile. Open the shapefile in WMS. Create a 1D Hyd Cross Section coverage and select it to make it active. Now select the Cross-section shapefile in the WMS project explorer and grab the select shapes tool. Select all the cross-sections. In the menus, click Mapping | Shapes->Feature Objects. In the mapping wizard, click Next until the wizard finishes. This should transfer all the cross-section arcs from the shapefile to the 1D hyd cross-section coverage.

You can do the same thing with centerline arcs, just make sure they are saved as part of a separate shapefile and be sure to map them to the 1D hyd centerline coverage.

Good luck,

Clark

Do I need to bring in the shapefile first, and then create the coverage? This is basically how I was trying to do it last night, and I ended up with a feature arc, but it wasn't part of the 1D HYD centerline coverage. I will make sure that the 1D HYD is selected - that might be what i was doing wrong.

Thanks Clark!

Rob

It shouldn't matter if you create the coverage before or after you bring in the shapefile. Yes, make sure the centerline coverage is selected when you map the centerline shapefile.

Clark

So, I successfully mapped the cross sections and centerline to the appropriate coverages. However, I am having a problem with extracting the cross section data - all of my river tools are grayed out, so I can't really do anything with the coverages. Any idea of where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

Rob

By the way, I am using a 2D scatter point set derived from an Arc DEM to create a TIN in WMS for the elevation data.

Edited by robross

Rob,

I'm not sure what could be wrong without looking at the project. Off the top of my head, you might want to double click on your centerlines and make sure they have the centerline attribute, and that they each have a river and reach name associated with it. You could also double check to make sure your TIN is triangulated. If that doesn't work, you could try zipping and emailing your project to our support team (support@aquaveo.com).

Good luck,

Clark