Simo

Creating bathymetric set from feature arcs

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to create a model of a small channel from nothing. I have created flume form by feature arcs and now I would need bathymetric data. I have a lot of point's at feature arc so doing it point by point would take some time. Is there a way to interpolate Z-values to a arc by feature points? In a staright line it can be done by removing all vertexes and then redistributing, but it doesn't work with curved arcs. Any easy way to do this?

I'm not sure what you mean about "interpolate Z-values to a arc by feature points."

I would use feature stamping. Feature stamping is setup so you can create a channel from a center line (you would have to redigitize a single arc). You provide cross-section geometry and elevations along the centerline. You can create elevations along the centerline using an xy-curve so you can change slopes along the way. Do this before creating your first cross-section, and you can copy the cross-section down the channel offsetting the height of each based upon the change in elevation along the cross-section.

I hope the above makes sense. There is a tutorial on feature stamping (General - Feature Stamping). I'm not sure if it is new to 10.1, but if you have the 10.1 tutorials you can use the feature stamping one with 10.0.

Good luck.

Hi,

I'm trying to create a model of a small channel from nothing. I have created flume form by feature arcs and now I would need bathymetric data. I have a lot of point's at feature arc so doing it point by point would take some time. Is there a way to interpolate Z-values to a arc by feature points? In a staright line it can be done by removing all vertexes and then redistributing, but it doesn't work with curved arcs. Any easy way to do this?