Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thosmithIIHR

SMS 10.0 / SRH2D Monitoring Line

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever used this feature? How do you initialize it in SRH2D? Is it just another node string in SMS? Any help is great, thanks.

The monitoring lines are relatively easy to set up and use in the Full Interface Mode. Create a interior nodestring in SMS (I don't think it works on the boundary). Select the nodestring and assign it as a monitoring line. The calculated flow is added to a text file during execution of SRH-2D. Remember that you can only have 9 lines. See user SRH-2D user manual section 3.1.2, page 20.

The monitoring lines are relatively easy to set up and use in the Full Interface Mode. Create a interior nodestring in SMS (I don't think it works on the boundary). Select the nodestring and assign it as a monitoring line. The calculated flow is added to a text file during execution of SRH-2D. Remember that you can only have 9 lines. See user SRH-2D user manual section 3.1.2, page 20.

how do you assign it as a monitoring line?

how do you assign it as a monitoring line?

it won't let me assign it as a monitoring line because it says I first have to define the boundary condition for the entity

We have been running SMS and SRH-2D in the Full Interface mode with the templete provided by the USBR for the last year or so. In that mode you just right click after you select the nodestring and set the boundary conditions to Monitor line. I am sure this could be done in the SIF file because we did it before they released SRH-2D version 2. However, I can't think of any reason why you would want to unless you are using a version of SMS prior to 10.0.

Are you sure you are working in the Mesh module? You have to create a nodestring in that module not an arc in the map module. If you are in the mesh module 'with the SRH-2D templet installed' then I have no idea what the problem is.

Are you sure you are working in the Mesh module? You have to create a nodestring in that module not an arc in the map module. If you are in the mesh module 'with the SRH-2D templet installed' then I have no idea what the problem is.

I am working in the mesh module. I right click on the nodestring, but the option to "assign BC" is grey'd out. There is no other option or tab that allows you to assign it as a monitor line. I just started running a new model and assigned the 5th nodestring in the mesh as a monitor line in the SIF file. There is a LN1 file in the project folder now, but it won't let me open it to see if it working.

I am about out of ideas. Does SRH-2D show up at the top of the window? That is another way to assign boundary conditions and monitoring lines; after the nodestring is selected go to 'SRH-2D' 'Assign Boundary Conditions'. If SRH-2D does not show up then the templete must not be loading correctly or somehow SMS has defaulted to another model rather than 'Generic'. Good Luck. As a last resort you might send and email to the USBE contact person. They don't provided support but I have been able to get them to respond to questions in the past.

Please send your files to Technical Support and I will take a look at them. The previous posts pretty much cover any suggestion I could offer without looking at your files. When you send the files, tell them John Howlett wanted to look at them.

Also, for the SRH-2D users out there - We have been working with Yong Lai, the developer of SRH-2D, on changes to SRH-2D that will allow the model to write the model output as XMDF files. This should make post-processing in SMS easier in the future.

- John

1 person likes this

I started a model yesterday with the monitor line defined in the SIF file. Today I stopped the model and was able to look at the LN1 file which has the flow output for every hour. I am new to this software so maybe I wasn't explaining my problem well. It seems to be working, maybe just going about it the wrong way? Myself and one other co-worker use SMS, so we really don't have much experience in the ranks here. So just kind of stumbling along and figuring things out as I go.

Hi

I am newbie in this SRH-2D as well, could anybody suggest on where we should locate our monitoring point / line for our simulation? I am currently using SRH-2D partial-interface mode with SMS 8.0 version.

My objective is about to analyze the change of water depth, water velocity surrounding due to the existence of bridge pier. Nevertheless, seems like SRH-2D could only provide us the water surface elevation as a result. Am I correct? Does anybody know whether SRH-2D could produce water velocity over the time as well? For your information, I am only assigning water surface elevation on both sides of my model.

I also have this difficulty to incorporate the result from SRH-2D to SMS, I have 744 hours total simulation time with 5 seconds time step, but why I did only have one result appear and seems like it is only for one time condition instead of routing result over time?

Any suggestion is welcomed. Thank you so much.

Regards

Vera Kurniawan