GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
woodward

How do I create layers of unequal thickness between TINs

I have created 4 TINs defining the top and bottom surfaces of 3 material zones. The TINs are all based on the same 2D Mesh and do not intersect.

I want to create a 3D Mesh from these TINs such that the thickness of the individual layers vary relatively smoothly. I know how to divide each material zone into layers of equal thickness, but I want the layers to vary in thickness so that the the thickness does not change by more than a factor of 2 between layers (this is to help FEMWATER convergence).

How do I do this in GMS?

Thanks

• Like 1

Ok, I have made some progress. I created a regular mesh in GMS. Then I wrote a MATLAB script to read in the 3dm file and smooth the z positions of the nodes in each vertical profile (by cubic interpolation, holding the material layer boundaries fixed).

You can then open the GMS project, delete the existing 3D Mesh, and import the new mesh by opening the modified 3dm file. (GMS crashes if you don't delete the old mesh first).

• Like 1

Further to my previous post, here is a workaround...

1. Create a GMS project (Projecta) with the mesh with regular layer thickness (created using the TINs|Horizons -> 3D Mesh command). Set up all the project options and boundary conditions. It gives you a "normal" GMS project with which to compare the results of editing the mesh. Run FEMWATER on this project and view the results.

2. Copy the project to a new name (Projectb). Then use a script (e.g. MATLAB) to edit the 3dm file (by adjusting the z coordinates of the nodes) to give non-uniform layer thickness as desired. Run FEMWATER on this to get the output on the non-uniform mesh.

3. Copy this project to yet another new name (Projectc). In this project, delete the 3D mesh. Then Open the edited 3dm file from Projectb. This loads the non-uniform mesh. Then use FEMWATER|Read solution to read the solution from Projectb.fws. This loads the solution into the new mesh. Now you can view the solution in Projectc. (You can't view it in Projectb because Projectb.gpr contains the original mesh but the Projectb solution is based on the modified mesh).

• Like 1