GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Chris Blount

ADCIRC fort.63 dataset

Rusty,

Is there a way to rename mesh datasets in 10.1? For example, when I import a maxele.63 file or multiple fort.63 files from different runs with ADCIRC the default name is "Water Surface Elevation (63)". I used to be able to change this in 10.0 by right clicking on the name. I can still do this with scatter datsets. Also, I've never been able to get the mesh datasets' new names to be saved for later sessions. For each new session I had to reload the files and rename them to keep track of everything. Both of these functions would be extremely useful especially since the new SWAN+ADCIRC program outputs files in unit 63 (H, T, and rad. stress) and 64 (direction) formats and they all end up with the default names when opened in SMS.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

When you import a 63 file, don't you get a dialog that allows you to set the name of the dataset that will be created? If you set the names here, the names should be saved when you save and load a project.

Once the datasets are created, it is often impossible for us to rename them because we are tied to the format of individual models. Therefore, we removed the ability to set the name of a dataset within a single instance of SMS because it wasn't something we could always pull to the next instance of SMS.

Let me know if this doesn't help answer your questions.

Rusty,

Is there a way to rename mesh datasets in 10.1? For example, when I import a maxele.63 file or multiple fort.63 files from different runs with ADCIRC the default name is "Water Surface Elevation (63)". I used to be able to change this in 10.0 by right clicking on the name. I can still do this with scatter datsets. Also, I've never been able to get the mesh datasets' new names to be saved for later sessions. For each new session I had to reload the files and rename them to keep track of everything. Both of these functions would be extremely useful especially since the new SWAN+ADCIRC program outputs files in unit 63 (H, T, and rad. stress) and 64 (direction) formats and they all end up with the default names when opened in SMS.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

When you import a 63 file, don't you get a dialog that allows you to set the name of the dataset that will be created? If you set the names here, the names should be saved when you save and load a project.

Once the datasets are created, it is often impossible for us to rename them because we are tied to the format of individual models. Therefore, we removed the ability to set the name of a dataset within a single instance of SMS because it wasn't something we could always pull to the next instance of SMS.

Let me know if this doesn't help answer your questions.

Aha! Consider this my bonehead question of the week. I didn't know you could edit the file name during the import! It just never occurred to me to try it there.

Thanks,

Chris