GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
a.peppas

Wave Rooting

Dear Sir,

I want to perform a wave rooting from a dam break analysis. The wave which is produced by the breaking of the dam is going to be rooted downstream through a narrow gorge for about three (3) kilometers and then into a wide delta plain for another five (5) kilometers. I am currently using the FESWMS model (which is not able to perform a steady state analysis of the complex river geometry) and I want to get the appropriate model for the above task which involves hydrodynamic calculations. Which would be your suggestion?

Thank you,

Peppas Antonios

You will want to use a more stable numeric engine then FESWMS.

I would suggest you look into:

1. TUFLOW

2. SRH-2D - Runs in the generic model interface

3. HYRO-AS2D - Runs in the generic model interface

All three of the programs above are better suited to handle the rapid wetting/drying that will occur in your situation.

TUFLOW is nice because it has a full interface, provides options to combine 1D and 2D flows, supports several options for hydraulic structures, and has a very powerful simulation management system.

SRH-2D is a finite volume model which offers a flexible mesh and is very stable. One benefit of SRH is that it doesn't have additional costs for the engine.

HYDRO-AS is also a finite volume model using a flexible mesh and is also quite stable.

I think your decision on engine depends upon what else you might want to do in the future with SMS. I believe TUFLOW is your best bet if you want to do a lot of flooding models down the road that may require hydraulic structures. SRH-2D is a very good option but doesn't have some of the simulation management or hydraulic structure options that TUFLOW includes. Our sales staff can give you additional guidance on each of these engines if you call or email them.

Dear Sir,

I want to perform a wave rooting from a dam break analysis. The wave which is produced by the breaking of the dam is going to be rooted downstream through a narrow gorge for about three (3) kilometers and then into a wide delta plain for another five (5) kilometers. I am currently using the FESWMS model (which is not able to perform a steady state analysis of the complex river geometry) and I want to get the appropriate model for the above task which involves hydrodynamic calculations. Which would be your suggestion?

Thank you,

Peppas Antonios