GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
daellishou

Mike21 FM Mesh & SMS

Is there any way I can open a Mike21 FM mesh in SMS in order to create a dxf file? I have converted the text version to a 2dm format. When I try to open it I get a message that I don't have enough memory even though Task Manager indicates that there is memory remaining. Is this message generated in SMS or Windows? We are using a Windows XP 32bit system with 3G memory. We will eventually upgrade to a 64bit system and that will probably solve this problem but in the meantime??

• Like 1

My guess is that the file isn't quite formatted correctly and SMS isn't giving as helpful of a message as we would like. Please get the file to Technical Support and tell them to send it on to Rusty. I'll see if I can see what is happening.

Is there any way I can open a Mike21 FM mesh in SMS in order to create a dxf file? I have converted the text version to a 2dm format. When I try to open it I get a message that I don't have enough memory even though Task Manager indicates that there is memory remaining. Is this message generated in SMS or Windows? We are using a Windows XP 32bit system with 3G memory. We will eventually upgrade to a 64bit system and that will probably solve this problem but in the meantime??

Your guess was totally correct. The Out of Memory message just caused me to look in the wrong direction. I found several problems in the 2dm file that I had created. After correcting those everything worked great. For genereal information, having SMS allows us to NOT purchase another DHI Mike module. Thanks for the reply.

Does aquaveo plan to develop a .mesh to .2dm conversion/import option? Right now, my workflow consists of several steps in excel and GIS to modify the element and node syntax requirements of the two platforms. A canned tool would be very helpful.

We have been considering this. If you could submit a sample .mesh file and the converted .2dm to support@aquaveo.com along with any links to documentation for the .mesh format that you have, I think we could review the difficulty and possibly expedite the creation of such a tool.

I have the documentation and a sample file, so I can work from what I have. If you have any special requests or insights on the process of converting, I'd be glad to get them.

According to the documentation we have found Mike 21 mesh elements can only be linear, and only nodes and elements are supported (no nodestrings). Is this correct? If not, where can we get better documentation?

This is correct. Elements can be either all linear triangular or all linear quadrilateral. There is no nodestring notion.

Instead, boundaries are defined by node codes (integer value >=0 specified after Z coordinate for each node).

All boundary faces between adjacent nodes with the same code form corresponding boundary.

Code 0 specifies internal node, 1 - land boundary, others should be numbered consequently starting from 1.

Boundary face between land node and non-land node is land boundary.

Boundary face between two non-land nodes is land boundary.

According to the documentation we have found Mike 21 mesh elements can only be linear, and only nodes and elements are supported (no nodestrings). Is this correct? If not, where can we get better documentation?

We have added this functionality to the development version of SMS. I found some additional documentation on the mesh file that indicated other options may be in the works. I anticipate other enhancements as we go.

I need to evaluate the effort required to get this feature into 11.1 before the official release of that version. Are the others that want this capability right away?