GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
m GMS User

Confining beds elevations

Hello everyone,

I am building a MODFLOW model with GMS 7.0 using the conceptual model approach. It is a 3 layers model with variable geometry (I mean high strikes for top and bottom layers elevations and tickness variations), and with two confining beds in the LPF package : one below layer 1 and one below layer 2.

As I want to affect a variable tickness to them, I have created a 2D scatter data file for each of them's bottom elevation.

My problem is that I have tried to interpolate these 2D scatter points files "to Modflow layer" but GMS doesn't allow to map "bottom-confining bed"....

So how can I interpolate the confining bed's bottom elevations from 2D scatter data files ??

Thanks in advance for any help !

I can think of two solutions. The preferred way is to model the confining beds explicitly, meaning you'd have a 5 layer model. Then you could use the "Interpolate to MODFLOW Layers" command. If that is not an option for you, you can create a 2D grid that matches the 3D grid, interpolate to it, then copy the values to the confining bed via the "2D Data Set -> Layer" button in the Vertical Confining Beds dialog.

I can think of two solutions. The preferred way is to model the confining beds explicitly, meaning you'd have a 5 layer model. Then you could use the "Interpolate to MODFLOW Layers" command. If that is not an option for you, you can create a 2D grid that matches the 3D grid, interpolate to it, then copy the values to the confining bed via the "2D Data Set -> Layer" button in the Vertical Confining Beds dialog.

Thank you Mickael !

We have tried with your second option and it would probably work but GMS 7.0 crashes when clicking on the floder "2D grid" in the window opened when cliking on "2D data set > layer" in the Vertical Confining Beds dialog box....

Is it a bug ??

Thank you Mickael !

We have tried with your second option and it would probably work but GMS 7.0 crashes when clicking on the floder "2D grid" in the window opened when cliking on "2D data set > layer" in the Vertical Confining Beds dialog box....

Is it a bug ??

Crashing is always a bug. It didn't crash for me. Please contact support so we can get it fixed.