GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hydrology

Rartial Run in GMS 7

One of the nice features about GMS 6.5 and earlier versions was that you could abort a transient run mid way through the time series and still read in the results up to that time step. It seems that in GMS 7 you need to run the model all the way to the end in order to be able to see any results at all. Is there any way to make GMS 7 have the same flexibility that previous versions of GMS had? It was nice to have that capability during the debugging phase of our modeling work.

Another problem that I noticed in Version 7 is that when you have a time series that is less than one day, the model will not plot anything in the active data set time series. In order to get a plot you need to change the x axis to log scale. You can then change it from log back to linear and then you can see your plot.

Update: Actually the plotting problem seems to happen even when I have a time series longer than one day.

Edited by Hydrology

One of the nice features about GMS 6.5 and earlier versions was that you could abort a transient run mid way through the time series and still read in the results up to that time step. It seems that in GMS 7 you need to run the model all the way to the end in order to be able to see any results at all. Is there any way to make GMS 7 have the same flexibility that previous versions of GMS had? It was nice to have that capability during the debugging phase of our modeling work.

Another problem that I noticed in Version 7 is that when you have a time series that is less than one day, the model will not plot anything in the active data set time series. In order to get a plot you need to change the x axis to log scale. You can then change it from log back to linear and then you can see your plot.

Update: Actually the plotting problem seems to happen even when I have a time series longer than one day.

If you abort a run before it is completed you can read in the solution still. If you select MODFLOW|Read Solution and select the .mfn file for your model, it will read in a partial solution.

With the active data set time series plot, you need to have a cell selected before it will show any values in the plot. If you have an example of this, send it support@aquaveo.com and we can take a look.

Cameron

Ok, I will try reading it in manually. I was just used to previous versions where it read it in automatically if you had the read solution box checked.

For the active data set, I do have the cell highlighted. It seems if your timeseries is less than one day, nothing will plot until you click on the log plot option. If you have a timeseries that is greater than one day, it will plot one small section of the plot, but wont plot the whole timeseries until you click on the log plot option. I will send you my dataset.

Ok, I will try reading it in manually. I was just used to previous versions where it read it in automatically if you had the read solution box checked.

I am not aware of any reason why this would have changed, but indeed in 7.0 it appears that aborting early and turning on the Read solution toggle does not read the solution like it did in 6.5. I'll report it as a bug and we'll look into it.