GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
US_AA

"downstream" Boundary Condition for Dam-Break

Hi,

currently We are working on a sudden dam breaking scenario. As input data we are using a storm tide with a recurrence of 10,000 years; the water runs into an area, were no or just a small drainage exists. The arc in the inlet is defined as WSE vs. Time (design tide) while we defined the outlet arc as computed WSE vs. Flow. The Model is working so far, but when the water reaches the downstream arcs boundary, the water is beginning to flow out of this whole arc back into the model area (see attached picture). The other two boundaries, which are the orange ones in the picture, are defined as "not used" and have an effect as a wall. As soon as the water gets in contact with these walls, the current gets directed along those. If the wals are defined as WSE vs. Flow, the water is running out of the arcs as described above.

So could you please help to find a solution or maybe the correct BC for my model?

Another problem is the size of my results. I am simulating 28 hours with a Grid size of 4m. The resulting Mesh has an enormous size of more than 66 GB and when I try to open it, the time bar, the values for h, dep and v disappear from the explorer. Only the elevation remains in my mesh. Do you know the reason for this?

P.S.: We are using the latest version of TUFLOW in SMS 10.0.11.!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Arne

post-1233-125422142276_thumb.jpg

Hi,

See my comments below. I hope they help.

Hi,

currently We are working on a sudden dam breaking scenario. As input data we are using a storm tide with a recurrence of 10,000 years; the water runs into an area, were no or just a small drainage exists. The arc in the inlet is defined as WSE vs. Time (design tide) while we defined the outlet arc as computed WSE vs. Flow. The Model is working so far, but when the water reaches the downstream arcs boundary, the water is beginning to flow out of this whole arc back into the model area (see attached picture). The other two boundaries, which are the orange ones in the picture, are defined as "not used" and have an effect as a wall. As soon as the water gets in contact with these walls, the current gets directed along those. If the wals are defined as WSE vs. Flow, the water is running out of the arcs as described above.

So could you please help to find a solution or maybe the correct BC for my model?

- It might be that you need to use a negative flowrate to indicate the flow is leaving the domain.

Another problem is the size of my results. I am simulating 28 hours with a Grid size of 4m. The resulting Mesh has an enormous size of more than 66 GB and when I try to open it, the time bar, the values for h, dep and v disappear from the explorer. Only the elevation remains in my mesh. Do you know the reason for this?

- The mesh is in the .2dm file. If you have a .2dm file that is 66 GB, you are truly in trouble. I can't imagine you would have had time to complete a run if you started it months ago. Anyway, the .dat files are the important ones. The problem is that this format is limited to a maximum file size of around 2GB to read into SMS. I have been working with the TUFLOW developer to enable users to access a different format that doesn't have this limitation. In the meantime, you can decrease the output interval, or starting time of the output so that none of the .dat files are over 2GB. Make sure you don't have the high-res option selected as this will also increase the size of the output files.

P.S.: We are using the latest version of TUFLOW in SMS 10.0.11.!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Arne