GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
James Ewart

Increasing the value of MXXYS parameter in FEMWATER

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the value of the parameter MXXYS in a FEMWATER model file? I find that my model definition exceeds a limit of 250 for this parameter. From what I've been able to determine from the run log this parameter seems to be the maximum number of XY series definitions allowed in the ".bc" file. I am not sure of this as the parameter is not defined in the FEMWATER source code, but this appears to be how it is used in setting array dimensions. The value of the parameter is defined as 250 in the include file: gwpara.inc, which leads me to think that I may have to recompile FEMWATER to increase the value of MXXYS. If anyone can verify this or knows of another way to increase it, I will appreciate the info.

Hi James

Ah the glories of FEMWATER source code. You are right, this is the max number of XY series. You can change it in the gwpara.inc file. Then you need to recompile FEMWATER. I have had to increase several of the parameters in gwpara.inc.

Simon

By the way, do you really have 250+ XY series in your model? I was having a problem a while back where the series id numbers were getting above 250 and it was crashing, even though I had only about 10-20 XY series in my model. GMS doesn't seem to handle the series numbering very well but I haven't been able to reproduce the bug.

• Like 1

By the way, do you really have 250+ XY series in your model? I was having a problem a while back where the series id numbers were getting above 250 and it was crashing, even though I had only about 10-20 XY series in my model. GMS doesn't seem to handle the series numbering very well but I haven't been able to reproduce the bug.

Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me which compiler you've used? What I am not sure of is whether the FEMWATER executable exchanges any information with GMS via binary files. I know from limited past experience that binary formats can be compiler specific.

As for the number of XY series, it appears from my .BC file that they do indeed number over 250. Ironically for me, many are the consequence of FEMWATER's requirement that unsaturated zone parameters be defined for all materials. Most of these definitions are pointless in my model, because most of the materials should never become unsaturated. In fact, I would love to be able to bypass FEMWATER's unsaturated flow routines entirely. I have no interest in the unsaturated zone calculations and would be happier to be handling saturated zone recharge as an input (ala MODFLOW). However, as these can not be bypassed (as far as I know), I am obliged to define the materials with realistic unsaturated material properties.

• Like 1

FEMWATER only needs the text files to run. You don't need GMS. GMS is useful to set up the mesh and bcs and 3bc options, although it doesn't always do it the way one would like. It's also useful to view the results. GMS builds the FEMWATER input files in the subdirectory projectname_FEMWATER. The only files you need to run FEMWATER are the fws, 3dm, and 3bc files, and possibly an initial condition phd file.

I have Compaq Visual Fortran Professional Edition 6.1.0 (now obsolete, which I inherited from my predecessor). It's pretty simple code, I think any compiler would do.

One of the criticisms of FEMWATER is that you can't turn off the unsaturated equations (even though they might not be used).

How many materials do you have!!!

• Like 1

PS. I set up the files with GMS, tidy them up with a Matlab script, then run femwater from the command line (> femwater3 projectname.fws), then use Read Solution to view the results in GMS.

• Like 1

FEMWATER only needs the text files to run. You don't need GMS. GMS is useful to set up the mesh and bcs and 3bc options, although it doesn't always do it the way one would like. It's also useful to view the results. GMS builds the FEMWATER input files in the subdirectory projectname_FEMWATER. The only files you need to run FEMWATER are the fws, 3dm, and 3bc files, and possibly an initial condition phd file.

I have Compaq Visual Fortran Professional Edition 6.1.0 (now obsolete, which I inherited from my predecessor). It's pretty simple code, I think any compiler would do.

One of the criticisms of FEMWATER is that you can't turn off the unsaturated equations (even though they might not be used).

Simon,

Thank you for the useful information. I neglected to mention that I also have a large number of wells in my simulation. These also contribute to the number of XY series cards in the .BC file. The wells are representative of an even larger number of domestic wells in the area being modeled.

• Like 1

I'm adding this note for anyone following this thread, because of a similar problem. I've found that the FORTRAN compiler G95 seems to do a fine job of compiling the FEMWATER source code. Its free and available here: http://www.g95.org/index.shtml

• Like 1

Simon,

Thank you for the useful information. I neglected to mention that I also have a large number of wells in my simulation. These also contribute to the number of XY series cards in the .BC file. The wells are representative of an even larger number of domestic wells in the area being modeled.

Must be a pain entering all those time series into GMS.

• Like 1