GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bwebb

Scatter Data - Triangulation for mesh

What are the recommended thin triangle aspect ratio and maximum edge length for use with CGWAVE?

During the model check, I continue to run into a possible issue warning that there are triangles present with bad aspect ratios.

The aspect ratio for the 2D mesh module defaults to 0.04 in SMS regardless of the model. I don't know of any published recommendations for CGWAVE on aspect ratio. In general, you want to avoid "skinny" triangles. You can use the menu command "Elements | Options" to view and change the current aspect ratio. You can try changing it, redo the model check, until the model check doesn't give the error to find out what your worst aspect ratio is.

Remember that the model check points out items that may cause problems, but are not guaranteed to. You may want to turn on mesh quality in the 2D Mesh display options and see if you can identify any problem areas of the mesh that may need tweaking.

Since you are using CGWAVE are you using a size data set to create the mesh? If you are, you may want to use the data set smoothing tool to smooth the size data set you are using. This can help with mesh quality problems. More information can be found here: http://www.xmswiki.com/xms/SMS:Smooth_Data_Set_(Data_Menu)

• Like 1

I also forgot to mention that you can use the menu command "Elements | Select thin triangles" to find the elements with a bad aspect ratio.

• Like 1