GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jose Maria

ADCIRC

Dear Friends:

I have run succesfully ADCIRC in a river. The aspect of the log file is nice. But when I try to load the fort.63 and fort.64 files, I get an error: Unable to read solution file.

And other: Failed to load correctly.

It happens both under 10.1 and 10.0 versions (I run both). Can you give me a hand, please?

Best regards,

Jose

Jose,

Can you send us your files so we can use them to determine the cause of the error you described. I have not encountered this problem before. The only thing I can think of is when the number of nodes in the mesh don't match the solution, but I believe we give an error message with that information if that is the reason SMS can't open the file.

Yes, John, I once got this error, and the message was quite clarifying.

This is strange. I have run several times the same problem with the same result. As a clue, I have copy - paste the files from one directory to other, in order to modify the boundary conditions to run in different hypothesis. I guess this is not a problem, but perhaps he is not loading the right file? (I mena, perhaps he is trying to load a file from other directory.

I have uploaded the files to your ftp.

Thanks.

Jose

Jose,

I was able to obtain a partial solution (which loaded into SMS) using the files you sent. I did not modify the files you sent in any way, so my initial guess is that the ADCIRC executable is having a problem with your hardware/software setup. I will see if anyone has encountered a similar problem and keep you updated.

I also verified that I am using the same version of ADCIRC (Version 47.20) by looking in the fort.16 file.

I think we tracked down the problem – in the original files you sent me, in the fort.15 file NOUTGE and NOUTGV are set to -2 (binary output). I’m not sure how this would have happened, but the version I ran (attached) has them set to -1. Old versions of SMS allowed you to specify binary output, but the ADCIRC model developers advised us to remove this option due to problems with the model outputting binary data.

NOUTGE =-2 Global elevation output is provided in binary format. Following a hot start, a new fort.63 file is created.

NOUTGE =-1 Global elevation output is provided in standard ascii format. Following a hot start, a new fort.63 file is created.

NOUTGE = 0 No global elevation output is provided

NOUTGE = 1 Global elevation output is provided in standard ascii format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.63 file.

NOUTGE = 2 Global elevation output is provided in binary format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.63 file.

NOUTGE = 3 Global elevation output is provided in sparse ascii format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.63 file.

NOUTGV =-2 Global velocity output is provided in binary format. Following a hot start, a new fort.64 file is created.

NOUTGV =-1 Global velocity output is provided in standard ascii format. Following a hot start, a new fort.64 file is created.

NOUTGV = 0 No global velocity output is provided

NOUTGV = 1 Global velocity output is provided in standard ascii format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.64 file.

NOUTGV = 2 Global velocity output is provided in binary format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.64 file.

NOUTGV = 3 Global velocity output is provided in sparse ascii format. Following a hot start, continued output is merged into the existing fort.64 file.

John,

I am using SMS 10.1 and I have a similar problem when trying to load the files fort.63 and fort.64, although the run being successful. After the simulation, I verified that NOUTGE and NOUTGV =-2 in fort.15. Then I changed those variables to -1 and repeated the run. Because I was having exactly the same problem, I checked again fort.15 and verified that during the simulation the variables were automatically changed back to -2!! How can I control the output format to have the fort.63 and fort.64 files in ascii, to be able to load them? Thanks.

Amy

John,

I am using SMS 10.1 and I have a similar problem when trying to load the files fort.63 and fort.64, although the run being successful. After the simulation, I verified that NOUTGE and NOUTGV =-2 in fort.15. Then I changed those variables to -1 and repeated the run. Because I was having exactly the same problem, I checked again fort.15 and verified that during the simulation the variables were automatically changed back to -2!! How can I control the output format to have the fort.63 and fort.64 files in ascii, to be able to load them? Thanks.

Amy

Dear Amy,

I had the similar problem when I am running in SMS 10.1, Then I changed the NOUTGE and NOUTGV =-2 to -1 in CTL file, then it works fine and I got proper ASCI file format. Why because the fort.15 file is writing from CTL file, when ever you save the SMS Project file, the fort.15 file is rewriting with CTL file then the changed option will remain. Change that option in CTL file and run successfully......

Chanti

SMS does not support the binary file format used by ADCIRC, so solution files must be in ASCII format to import into SMS. There are controls in the SMS interface for "replace" and "append", but not for "ASCII" and "binary." If you import an existing unit 15 file into SMS and output flags are set to binary (-2 or 2), then SMS will not change those when a project is saved. If you need to make changes, edit the unit 15 file before importing into SMS. The reason it is set up this way is so that users who really want binary output files don't have to edit their unit 15 file each time a project is saved in SMS.