GMS, SMS, and WMS User Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bwebb

BOUSS2D map to 2D Grid problem

Hello I'm having trouble generating a 2D grid from map under the BOUSS2D model. The option is available, but when I select it, nothing happens. (in SMS v10.0 and SMS v10.1 with BOUSS2D from SMS v10.0). Am I missing something?

I am also having difficulty with the rotation angle on the grids when generated in the grid module. It is as if the positive x-axis is rotating.

Edited by bwebb

Just to verify, we will start with the basics - please verify the following

1. The coverage type is set to BOUSS2D (right click on coverage in the project explorer)
  2. In the cartesian grid display options, the grid cells are turned on (so you see the grid)

You are correct that SMS does move the origin of the grid. SMS will move the origin to minimize the rotation so the I axis is as close to the X axis as possible. In BOUSS-2D the waves do not have to be generated in the I direction.

Thanks John.

I got an answer on the map-->2d grid. The problem was that I didn't have my map object set as a grid frame object. I haven't verified yet, but seems like the piece I was missing.

The ERDC manual says to generate the grid closely inline with the incoming wave direction. So, I was building my grid based on that advice. When the grid changes automatically (i.e. not following my inputs), it no longer either captures my area of interest or aligns with the wave direction. Has the BOUSS-2D model changed to not require the alignment? Can I somehow override the automatic change?

I just got some clarification from Zeki Demirbilek the model developer. When the manual says to generate the grid closely inline with the incoming wave direction - what you want is for the incident wave to be approximately normal (+-15 to 20 degrees) to the grid boundary. Try to keep incident waves from being to oblique to the grid boundary. That is - don't make a N/S oriented grid if waves are coming from the NW. The I and J direction aren't important for BOUSS2D.